The Toll (2020)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Apr 13, 2021.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This was another blind-buy that ended up being a pleasant surprise.

An exhausted woman who has just flown home to visit her father gets a rideshare out to his secluded ranch. On the long ride through the woods with her awkward and slightly creepy driver, the car almost hits something in the road and breaks down. Trapped alone together, they start to realize there may be someone referred to as The Tollman in the surrounding woods terrorizing them.

This is one of those movies where the build-up is much better than the pay-off, but I have to say the build-up is pretty damn good. The first half of this movie is very effective and creepy, not just because of the surrounding woods and what might be lurking in them, but because of the un-trusting dynamic between the two leads. Every so often, something will creep by in the background or foreground without the assist of a musical stinger, so it's a movie that keeps your eyes searching the screen.

As mentioned, the movie slightly goes off the rails as it goes along, mostly following the arrival of an elderly woman providing a convenient exposition dump. For the most part though, this is an effective little indie chiller in the vein of Dead End.

I'd definitely recommend The Toll, which is now available on blu-ray. You can get it from Wal-Mart or Amazon for only $14.96. There's even a nice little 20 minute making-of, where the director seems like he's a big horror fan. Check it out!

ImmortalSlasher and fceurich39 like this.
  2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Got this on dvd fun film

CPT HOOK likes this.
  3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Is this the Dead End movie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_End_(2003_film)

I added The Toll to the list. The actress was in a crazy Syfy TV show that was cancelled a while back.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Cool. I'll do a double feature one day.

6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'm not a fan, it started ok, but fell apart about half way through and I didn't like the ending at all.