"The Tourist Trap"

Discussion in 'General' started by Egg_Shen, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I just stumbled onto this little film and it sounded sort of interesting. It was directed by David Schmoeller (Puppet Master), concerns mannnequins comming to life and violently dispatching a group of college kids, and was released back in 1979.

It's on DVD with a director's commentary and shown in widescreen. So is the movie worth watching and is the DVD any good?

2. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

it's worth the 7.99 I paid

3. FleshRipper

FleshRipper Guest

Yeah, this movie is one of many low budget horror films that came out of the late 70's -- early 80's, but managed to have quite an eerie and unique feel to it...kind of like phantasm (if you remember the first time you saw that!). Don't expect major gore, explosions, or anything like the big budgets provide, but give it a chance and the very least, it will definitely creep you out! :)

PS. If you get the DVD, the directors commentary is pretty cool, in that, he explains among other things how they managed to pull off many of the visual effects that normally would require a lot more dough than they had to work with!

4. Joel Groce

Joel Groce Guest

I may need to rewatch this but...

I just can't recommend this one - beyond one or two creepy scenes - it just didn't make it for me. It is cheap though going for 6 or 7 bucks.

5. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Don't wait get it now, it's got some pretty creepy scenes with a creepy Chuck Conners in a creepy old house, and it's got the beautiful Tanya Roberts wearing not too much !.

6. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Everyone over at Amazon (where, by the way, it's not $7.99) says it contains one of the MPAA's top ten most horrific scenes ever filmed. You can see why I got interested.

Where did you folks find it so cheap? I thought $13.48 was a good price, but I'd much rather pay $7.99.

7. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Okay, I found it at Best Buy for $7.99. Thanks for the information, I think I'll pick it up for such a small price...

8. cjg

cjg Active Member

I dont think the movie is that great But the scene where he sufacates the chick with the plaster is classic

9. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Tourist Trap is an absolutely wonderful film, and for $7.99 the DVD is an absolute steal! Great disc by all means! This film is wonderfully freaky, and the score by Pino Donaggio is awesome!

10. i agree with you 100%. this is an underrated classic. dorky, but very good! couldn't find the 100's of trailers listed on the box though. all i could find were 5 or 6 i think.

11. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Yeah, I heard someone else mention this (the absence of the trailers I mean). However, it was much more disturbing to find out the movie isn't presented widescreen! The cover even has a banner in the corner mentioning it as a widescreen presentation. Is this reviewer incorrect or is the movie really shown full screen?

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The DVD is most definitely widescreen. When I got my copy, I was quite pissed when it played in pan and scan on my player. I griped about it on the Gorezone messageboard, and they told me to see if my player was set on pan and scan on the fly, and if it was, to change it. Well, it was, and I changed it and the disc played widescreen. If your player is set on letterbox, all your DVDs will play in their proper ratio. Whoever said it wasn't widescreen has their player set wrong.

13. FleshRipper

FleshRipper Guest

ooooooohhhhhhhh Tonya!!!

How could I not mention that Tonya Roberts was indeed in the flick in my previous post! :)
    PS. And no, this pic is not from the movie [begin frown here]

[​IMG]

14. The DVD is LTBX! You have to adjust something on your player to fix that.Ask Bruce Holecheck...he knows! :)

15. nice by the way! very bvery nice;) :)

16. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I haven't seen this movie since I was 7 or 8. I described the movie and asked on here if someone knew what it was. You guys were quick to reply. :) I found it at Suncoast for under $10. I haven't watched it yet, though. I have so many movies and so little time. :(

17. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Thanks for putting my mind at ease...