The Ugly

Discussion in 'General' started by Suicide, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Reverenddave

Reverenddave Member

Scott Reynolds has made some good movies. I really enjoyed When Strangers Appear. Heaven was pretty good too. Then he dropped off the radar for a few years. But it looks like he's got a new horror in the works called Soul Mates.

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I finally got around to checking this out after first hearing about it on the BOOGEYMEN dvd a very, very long time ago. It was the last film I'd never seen and I finally made an effort to track down a way to watch it.
    I'm glad I did because it actually turned out to be pretty good. I really enjoyed the way it was edited which meshed scenes and shots together but in a really seamless way I don't think I've seen before. It was rather impressive and added a nice layer of creepy uncertainty to things playing out. It's effect was a real cerebral experience and I loved it haha.

Now where is this on blu-ray?

CPT HOOK and Katatonia like this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I had planned to keep on with the April Vinegar Syndrome titles last night, but when I saw this thread get bumped it actually encouraged me to pull out the DVD and watch The Ugly instead.

I had seen this on VHS way back when, but I don't think I'd ever gotten around to watching my DVD of it. It starts out feeling a bit amateurish, especially with the two ridiculous looking security guard guys, but as the movie goes along you get used to it and it becomes rather effective. I don't know if I was necessarily in the mood for something so cerebral last night, with events out of order and ambiguity in regards to certain major plot points, but this is definitely a good example of a solid script overcoming budgetary restraints. I'm just more of the trashy Confessions Of A Serial Killer type, I guess?

I was curious to see where the director's career went after this, and it didn't seem to go much further. The most notable follow-up being 2001's When Strangers Appear, which is a fun little thriller with a silly motivation (if I recall, it had something to do with a computer chip?) and an excellent use of Deep Purple's "Hush". Other than that, there isn't much else on his filmography.

Weirdly, my DVD of The Ugly appears to be a flipper disc, but there's nothing on the case to indicate why it would be? I'm scared to put it in the player upside down in case they just forgot to put a label on it or something? I think my old Anchor Bay Elvira Mistress Of The Dark DVD came the same way.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention those wacky security guards. They had me laughing a lot with their weird antics and actions. They felt really out of place at first but then I just got used to them and enjoyed their odd behavior.

Also wanted to note that the film has a bit of a J-horror vibe going on with the look of the uglies and the black blood. I don't think there's any red blood at all in the film. It's a pretty interesting take.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The idea of the black blood is for him to disconnect his victims from being human beings. It's almost like oil from a machine.

I wasn't sure what to make of the ending (was "the Ugly" real or is he just a sociopath?), so I read some discussion about it after and there seems to be a lot of debate about whether the blood in the final shot is red or black. And what's interesting about that is the color in that scene can actually shape your interpretation of the movie. There's a lot to suggest that "The Ugly" and "The Visitors" are real, but the fact that he pulled "The Ugly" off a torn page of The Ugly Duckling and "The Visitors" off her Visitor Pass suggest he's making it all up and is just a sociopath toying with his latest victim. So if the blood at the end is finally red, it leans one way, while if the blood is still black it leans the other. Pretty interesting. Although I was too lazy to go back and look for myself!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

I do like that angle. I wasn't sure what to make of the end myself. It's definitely a film that makes you want to watch it again to try and piece some of the less clear bits together.

I wonder who holds the rights to it?