Ti West's The Sacrament

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

After gaining a lot of buzz on the film festival circuit over the past few months, The Sacrament finally has an official red band trailer.

The Trailer

[​IMG]

2. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Looks pretty good, even though I'm not a big Ti West fan. I found both The Roost and House of the Devil to be a waste of time and his additions to both V/H/S and ABCs of Death to be meh or pretty terrible. I haven't seen Innkeepers.

I actually dug Cabin Fever 2, though and his fanbase seems to really loathe that one so...yeah.

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Effective trailer. Impressed that it is set in 2013, as I think we often believe that such isolated horror events can no longer occur, since we are always so connected to social media, etc. Will be interested to see how they pull it off.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

love that poster, I could very well imagine that as a cover for an early 80's video nasty release, love it, not a fan of any of Ti West's movies, (not seen the roost), but always happy to see a new horror movie, looks interesting, happy to view.

5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I loved House of the Devil and The Innkeepers - I look forward to seeing this one

6. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Looks great to me. I find the plausibility of places like this existing and the messed up shit going on at those places give this a scary realism...

7. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I love West's films and am definitely looking forward to this one. There aren't many things that scare me more than these fucking bat shit insane, nutcase religious cults.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I find religious cults fascinating and frightening at the same time. I'll see this.

9. Cujo108

Cujo108 Member

Been looking forward to this one a great deal, as I'm a big fan of films about cults. Looks right up my alley.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

This was amazing. Saw it at tiff. There was one scene in particular that was incredibly moving. I literally choked up. Might be his best yet

~Matt

11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Sounds promising! Are you a fan of his previous efforts?

12. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

i'm looking forward to this as well. I really dug HotD and Innkeepers a lot. But agree that his segment for VHS was surprisingly weak.

But, based on how much i was impressed with the last two feature films he helmed and how much I love this subject/inspiration (I was really obsessed with Jim Jones in my youth) I am really really interested in seeing this one.

13. horrorscreamer

horrorscreamer Member

I REALLY want to be excited about this one but a People's Temple cult in 2013? I find that hard to believe, and one that seems to be the same in every way? I realize that they did this angle because of the found footage concept - which is neat but honestly, after having watched the real found footage of the actual people's temple cult, I don't think that this will have a big impact on me - I'd love to be proven wrong though.

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Me too. I was very excited about another Ti West film, but the trailer did little for me. I will still buy the blu-ray though.

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Jonestown was horrific and this looks so much like it.Many people forget that the term "Drink the Kool Aid" is a reference to Jonestown (though if I'm not mistaken the cultists actually used Flavor-Aid).

16. horrorscreamer

horrorscreamer Member

Agreed, I'll definitely check it out but the fact that the leader says "Film this" makes me feel like they sensationalized the event a bit too much (yes I realize that this is not a movie about Jonestown, but let's be honest here, it is).

17. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I checked this out today and I am pleased with the end product, although Ti didn't knock it completely out of the park. I'm really on the fence as far as if this out does West's previous full length feature, The Innkeepers, because there are a number of pros and cons with The Sacrament. First thing to point out is the pacing of the film is very crisp and quick, which is a stark contrast to the rest of the films in West's repertoire which are known for being slow burns. But what really sells this movie is acting from Gene Jones, who plays "Father" (the films lead antagonist) and AJ Bowen (giving his best performance since "the Signal"). The interview scene between these two is incredible and is hands down the best written and directed scene in any Ti West Film. Unfortunately Jones is only in three or four scenes and it honestly could of used more of him because he really steals the show.
    For the negative side of things, this film falls short of capturing the full essence of what makes a found footage film work, and that is authenticity. The biggest blunder this film makes, and what is a giant pet peeve of mine regarding the Found Footage genre, is the inclusion of a musical score. I wouldn't be surprised if this was Eli Roth's doing (he did produce the film) but regardless it is distracting. Another thing is some of the acting from the supporting cast who do their best to make it obvious that they are staring in a movie. And the biggest problem of all, like all Ti West Films, is the ending which us abrupt and a bit underwhelming.

Overall, The Sacrament is a very watchable and entertaining horror film. Check it out. Rating: 7/10

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Great review. I can't wait to check this one out!

19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'm not a fan of Ti West, and I can't say I have really enjoyed any of his other movies, but I have to say I really enjoyed this one, I thought the acting was great, the father character was great really quite creepy, I have to say I enjoyed the score, I felt it help with the overall feel of the movie, and I also have to say I enjoyed the ending, not sure what else you really could do with this, especially how the movie played out, all in all, impressed, everyone who visits these pages should watch it.

20. st3b

st3b New Member

I agree with this being Ti West's movie so far but to me there wasnt any surprises in the in the story. The pace and acting were good but I guess I want something other than a straight jim jones type story