Toxic Avenger Big Box VHS (limited to 250 copies) from Troma!

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, May 24, 2012.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

2. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

If anyone plans on getting one of these, I don't recommend you place an order from Troma. Apparently they ship the big box in an ordinary bubble mailer and people have been receiving them crushed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DU06cIawgE&list=UUzU6rnPHVCj38uyPAvIbxkw&index=1&feature=plcp

I picked one up from Forbidden Planet, who have them up for order. Lloyd is actually at the store today signing their stock, so you can order one with Uncle Lloyd's John Hancock on it if you want. They also will be shipping them in boxes. (so I've been told).

http://www.fpusadailyplanet.com/2012/05/17/signed-toxic-avenger-vhs-pre-order-starts-now/

I heard the VHS isn't even that cool though....Just Troma trying to cash in on the VHS hipsters. Ha!

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

wished they would release a blu-ray but that wont happen until toxie 5 is finished

4. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm holding out for the special betamax edition.......

5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    This trend is getting OLD fast! Seriously? Who the F*** wants a VHS? The only VHS tapes I buy are collectible and OOP ones. If anyone wants to pay me $30 for my VHS tapes, I have a whole stack here! But seriously, I have a ton of stuff that I bought on Blu and DVD that is sitting in a pile. Stuff like Galaxy of Terror, Horror Planet, Slumber Party Massacre, My Bloody Valentine. If anyone is interested or wants them, PM or email me. I have a ton I haven't listed!

6. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Apparently you want VHS. ;)

The whole repro thing is goofy as all hell to me, the only big box release I really geeked out for was The Basement because it made sense - the movie was never released and was filmed on Super 8, so VHS didn't detract from the movie and it's not like it was available in the past. That's not to say I don't have a lot of VHS I'm too cheap to upgrade to DVD or that I don't like VHS, but I'd never purposely do a disservice to the movie itself. So while I only have Maximum Overdrive on VHS, it's not because I want it on tape necessarily so much as it's not worth it for me to upgrade it to DVD because I still haven't watched it fully and I've had it since 1999.

A big box Toxie, those already exist, don't they? So I don't see the need for this. I know what it is though, just collector nerds busting a nut over big box art, which they collect more than the movies themselves. I was always the opposite, while cool cover art certainly never hurt, I always bought to see the movies themselves. With that said, anything Troma can use to turn a profit is ok with me.

7. Chomp

No.

That's basically a big reason why I caved. Troma is in need of funds. They've always stressed the notion of independence and I admire the hell out of that. Plus Lloyd has shown he can still make entertaining features. I want Troma to thrive on as long as it can. Plus that little Jew makes me laugh.

The tape is green too...I don't own on of those yet. HA!

I'd much rather have a BD, but what the hell else am I gonna spend my money on? I ain't got no bitch! HA!

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  8. Dave

Dave Pimp

Sorry, put it on laserdisc and give me a call. I know that will never happen since the plants no longer exist and apparently you need a clean room to press a laser.

9. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

:(

Anyway my order from Forbidden Planet has shipped. The packaging looks fantastic can't wait to check it out!

10. Chomp

Thata girl...glad your disapointment in the Nailgun Massacre VHS didn't put a damper on purchasing anymore VHS nostalgia items. Did you get it signed as well?

Some of the VHS re releases are starting to get on the expensive side though...
    They are going to have start getting cooler in order for me to keep buying these.

I am surprised CB over at Full Moon hasn't jumped on the VHS revival train yet.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'd be very tempted by any Full Moon VHS big boxes. Especially since I have some gift cards of theirs burning a hole in my pocket. It may be worth emailing them about it as they're always on the collector train with the replicas and such.

These new VHS sets do seem rather ironic now in a world with Blu-ray but fans really seem to want them so I say give 'em what they want. But that also means not skimping on the packaging.

Has anyone actually watched these VHSs? Do they throw trailers on there at the beginning and stuff? Is it just like the old days? I'd be very curious.

12. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Of the VHS collectables that I own, I do not plan on actually watching them. These things will be on display at my place just as my Mondo posters are. I thought that is what they were meant for.

13. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Glad I ordered 2 of these Limited VHS tapes. One is mint and the other is slightly crushed. I'd imagine both were shipped the same way they received them. Both were mailed together in a large size box well packed. They were also autographed by the man himself Mr. Loyed! So I am totally tits for this can't wait to watch!

14. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I did the same thing for that same reason. Still waiting for mine.

15. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Troma copied an old EP Mode Toxic Avenger video for the Limited VHS release. Your basically watching a copy of a copy it sucks. Needless to say it's absolutely borderline unwatchable. You would think they could have just copied the old DVD version onto VHS. Ow well fuck it and on that note I'm going back to bed! :sleepy:

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

even at its best, the A/V quality offered by the VHS format has been obsolete for decades. You can't seriously tell me you were buying this for the picture quality.....

17. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

VHS is limited in quality terms still common sense helps. They just made a copy of a copy from an old EP mode VHS. You basically watching a 3rd forth generation VHS tape just awful.

18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Never been too impressed with Troma in general.

19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Do yourself a favor and get the dvd (for the anamorphic widescreen, or miss half the film) and enjoy it. This movie gets funner everytime I watch it, and mine sat there unwatched for years as well. So much better than I remember it being.

That said, I am officially out of the VHS game. My last vcr died and I got all my old tapes transfered to discs, and every film replaced on legit blu or dvd. or at least a custom.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm sure it saved Troma .50 cents per tape by going the EP route. :lol: So, they saved maybe $125+ on this release?

Lloyd probably had a custom molded Toxie butt plug constructed from the savings. :evil: