(Tracker) Worthwhile Titles on Netflix Instant Streaming

Discussion in 'General' started by SaxCatz, Aug 25, 2010.

1. horrorscreamer

horrorscreamer Member

Go to epixhd.com - the service where netflix lifts like 80% of their movies from and you can see that Tales from the darkside is due in 8 days, u can also see other upcoming movies.

2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Hey guys,

I didn't want to start a new thread but I'm hoping a fellow Canadian can help me out here. I have decided to ditch cable and just increase my internet usage and get Netflix.

I'm just wondering what you guys think I will need package wise, how many GBs per month?

Also, How much is it to subscribe per month (I think it's $8)?

And finally, since apparently the Canadian Netflix is rather lacking, what would I need to get US Netflix here, and how much extra would that cost?

Any help as always is much appreciated, thanks guys!

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any way to trick Netflix into thinking you are in America. When I visited Montreal last year I had access to different film on my phone. I saved a few to my queue and when I got home they were still present, but I wasn't allowed to play them.

Canadian internet rates are based on amount of data rather than speed? That's rough.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I know you can definitely get US Netflix in Canada as I know several peopel that have it.

As for rates, they are based on speed and GB usage, usually they go hand in hand, in that rates with bigger GB usage have faster speeds. I'm not worried too much about the speed though as I really only use the Internet for my iPhone right now and soon to be Netflix (I don't really use a home computer anymore since I sit on one all day at work), so as long as it can handle streaming the movies it should be fine. I'm more worried about going over my GB usage and getting hit with extra charges.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

We've got Netflix, and getting American content is easy, provided you use a game system (PS3, Wii, XBox) or a tablet or smartphone - apparently its much more difficult on a PC, although I've never tried. All you have to do is change the DNS settings on whatever device you're using. Once you do that, Netflix thinks you're signing in from somewhere in the US and it gives you American content. The same can be done for UK Netflix, although I've never tried to do that.

Just go to a site like this:

http://www.netflixfixer.com/2014/02/american-netflix-dns-codes-roundup-pt2.html

or search for one of the dozens of tutorials on youtube, which will not only show you how to do it, but the comments are always being updated with new DNS codes, so that's the place to look when you need new ones.

Unfortunately these codes always end up expiring. Eventually you'll need to find new ones. Sometimes the first set of codes you locate will work right off the bat, and sometimes it can take a few hours to find ones that work (damn is that ever frustrating when that happens). Some devices are pickier than others - I find it hard to find codes that will work for my PS3, but my Wii never seems to have a problem accepting them. And I think my wife has only had to change the codes on her tablet once in the last year.

Bottom line: don't get suckered into paying for access to American Netflix. it's a rip-off. everything you need is available online, and all it takes is fiddling with one setting on your device.

Netflix is great, and to be honest, Canadian Netflix isn't as bad as it once was. American is still many times better, but I do find myself watching more stuff off of Canadian now than I did a year ago.

Also remember that you can use a Netflix account on more than one device at a time. Which means you can actually share it with another house. My inlaws use our account all the time. So that's a good way to split the cost in half, if you want to do that (and yes, I believe the cost is now $8).

As far as usage goes, I've got an 80GB/month plan. I find I only occasionally reach that point, and now that my wife is back at work, we hardly ever do.

6. King Diamond

King Diamond Member

It's actually really easy. For example, Google Chrome offers a free extension called 'Hola Better Internet.' It allows you to change countries while viewing any given web site.

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

well damn, i may just start using chrome, then. that sounds simple enough.

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Great thanks for the info guys!

9. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I would like to put in a personal recommendation for Bad Kids Go to Hell. One of those rare occasions where I had to say to myself "holy shit, they can make good horror nowadays." You all know how rare that is! I mean- there's too much CGI. But, for once they actually found a good usage for intentionally bad / rotten characters. This is definitely worth checking out.

I also had a chance to see You're Next and would like to amend my Trailer Reaction (in that thread) to say... it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Call that a recommendation if you will. I give it a 5/10 and that's still way more than The House of the Devil deserves.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

You have to get US Netflix. I've had hola for a while. You can also get the UK netflix. Black Christmas and a bunch of Friday the 13th films are on there.

~Matt

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The Returned (2013) - Watched this on Netflix streaming and while it is a zombie movie, it really is not a zombie movie or a horror movie. More like a drama or a medical thriller.

The best part of it is the the concept. Intriguing. Worth my time, I'd say.

Also looks like a Toronto-lensed feature, I saw Bay street and some other Torntonian street name on one of the hotels. I was just there for TIFF (as I am every year), couldn't place the building, though.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Some new genre additions to NetFlix streaming recently.

They just added four new genre films from Blumhouse Pictures (these have been released on DVD as Wal-Mart exclusives, but aren't available through other retail outlets):
    Not Safe For Work
    Mockingbird
    Mercy
    Stretch

I watched two of them so far.

Not Safe For Work was a fun little thriller in the vein of Wes Craven's Red Eye. If you enjoyed that, you should enjoy this one.

Mockingbird was an absolutely dreadful found-footage film from the director of The Strangers. I would not recommend this at all.

They also added two recent indies that have gotten favorable reviews: The Taking Of Deborah Logan, a found-footage possession thriller, and Beneath, which sounds like a male-version of The Descent. Really looking forward to checking both out.

Also, not horror, but they added Jackpot, a crime / thriller / comedy from the makers of the Cold Prey series.

13. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Watched THE WHITE BUFFALO (1977) on US Netflix streaming last night. Its in HD (1:78) with 5.1 sound. The audio and video quality are very good. It wouldn't be impressive as a blu-ray but its better than a standard DVD.

The film caught my attention a couple weeks ago when I was watching a section of animal attack trailers on a DRIVE-IN DELIRIUM dvd. Its an entertaining trailer, but what made it a must see for me is that it stars Charles Bronson and features a John Barry score.

I really enjoyed the film (so did my wife and 7-year-old son). The dialogue isn't great but the scenes with the white buffalo and some of the shootouts are very interesting. I read some reviews that claimed the white buffalo looked cheap and that it's look detracted from the film. I disagree with those reviewers. The buffalo certainly doesn't look "real" but the way it is filmed gave those scenes a surreal almost dreamlike quality that IMO enhanced the experience. My wife and son weren't put off by the look of the buffalo either.

I don't plan on purchasing the MGM MOD of this film but if it were to get a BD release with some special features I would happily add it to my collection.

14. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Ghoulies Go To College.

I shit you not.

15. CPT HOOK

Considering there is so much indie horror on NetFlix, a lot of it available same day as disc, I thought it might be fun to resurrect this thread.

My own queue is getting ridiculously full and I find it difficult to choose which ones should take priority, so maybe posting what is new will provoke some discussion and get us watching some horror.

Two new genre titles were added over the weekend:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Windmill (aka The Windmill Massacre), a slasher film from the Netherlands that hasn't even been released on disc here in the US yet.

Darren Lynn Bousman's latest Abattoir, recently released on DVD.

Also added in March were the much acclaimed zombie film Train To Busan and the IFC Midnight/Scream Factory science fiction import Evolution.

16. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Workshed likes this.
  17. CPT HOOK

The Eyes Of My Mother was removed from NetFlix for a little while, but it was just re-added. Excellent movie, for those who haven't seen it yet.

Also, The Love Witch was just added to Amazon Prime.

Natas likes this.
  18. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Word up! I appreciate the heads up.....I haven't browsed NetFlix or Prime in a few weeks. And I have the blu rays of both The Eyes of my Mother and the Love Witch in my bestbuy.com cart, ready to pull the trigger. I'll stream first to see if they're buy worthy.

19. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I got to check out the first 18 minutes of The Windmill last night, before the in-laws showed up for dinner. It looked interesting- looking forward to watching the rest when I get a chance.

20. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a serial killer road movie called Dead West that is now streaming on Netflix. The advertising makes it out to be a western, but it's a modern day serial killer drama.