Unpopular opinions!

Discussion in 'General' started by _pi_, Nov 6, 2007.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I think the Dave Clark Five is a better genesis for boy bands than The Beatles are.

I like The Beatles and The Misfits. The Kinks and the Cramps kick both of their sorry asses.

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Terminator Salvation is a better post apocalyptic chase film than fury road

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Nope, nope, and more nope.

DVD-fanatic-9 and MisterTwister like this.
  4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

If I could like your post more than once I would.

5. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Cherry 2000 soundtrack > Cherry 2000 film

6. maybrick

There are a LOT of soundtracks that are better than their films. Tons.

7. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Sure. Most of them are by Ennio Morricone. I wasn't really trying to make that point.

Anaestheus likes this.
  8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Absolutely. The Ring, Basic Instinct and Poltergeist are a few that spring to mind. Star Wars (especially Empire) is aided by the greatest movie soundtracks ever scored imo. I wish the Force Awakens' soundtrack was half as good as the prequels.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It's still an interesting point and a good topic.

10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Last Action Hero; also a better soundtrack.

:D

11. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Best post ever!!! Cannot fucking stand them either. I will never, ever, ever understand The Beatles popularity.

Angelman and Katatonia like this.
  12. maybrick

Two that quickly come to mind are the ones for Kids and Tank Girl. I didn't like either of those movies at all, but i owned the CDs.

One film that I'm only so so on but absolutely LOVE is Cat People. I could listen to that Giorgio Moroder soundtrack every day if I could. I don't even own the movie.

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Absolutely!!! Great AC/DC, Alice in Chains, Megadeth and Queensryche songs. Aerosmith's rendition of Dream On with an orchestra recorded from MTV's tenth anniversary is possibly the greatest live performance ever recorded.

Workshed likes this.
  14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Popularity means different things to different time periods.

I imagine in 1975-76, the popularity of The Rocky Horror Picture Show (the film) was due to its' actual message of "do whatever makes you feel good" (err: "Don't Dream It, Be It"). Then after a certain degree / time span of exposure to different audiences and years of strange or obscure or oddball filmmaking being treated as "so bad, it's good" - then it becomes camp treated as fun for crowds to make fun of but having no actual value as meaningful cinema.

At one point in time, audiences don't seem to be aware that they have an option to appreciate something ironically. Today, we have terms like hipster and a fully formed profile of what one looks like. Although, we still have "things" like Justin Bieber, so we totally get why The Beatles were hot shit in their "I Want to Hold Your Hand" days. But it's possible that we'll never have another time in history like the 60's, where communal values were held above the individual's, so if their music ever adequately tapped into messages of peace and love- future generations will likely be loving their songs out of context.

Which a lot of people do; not consider the artist's intent. So, fine. Whatever. (Too many statements are already made / arguably made in each film to be able to even keep track of, let alone take to heart.)

Today, in a time in music where we just don't have the same variety in tone as we used to have and everything is so poorly reminiscent of the 80's but without the understanding of why so much of the music was honestly / screamingly dramatic = where all innovations are stylistic and even those are often called out for being stolen (Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus), The Beatles are an eye-opening, amazing fucking listen reminding us that music used to come in more modes than just "fun" and "sad." Well... central to latter album Beatles. The headier, more downbeat material. The "Sexy Sadie"s, "Strawberry Fields Forever"s, "Maxwell Silver Hammer"s, "The Fool on the Hill"s, many etc's.

Actually, scratch that. Because some of their early album material is still great rock today. Especially "A Hard Day's Night," "Things We Said Today," "Every Little Thing," "Day Tripper," and the vast majority of the Help! album. I don't know what to tell you if "A Hard Day's Night" doesn't urge you to at least tap your feet or hum along.

buck135 likes this.
  15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I won't say that I hate the Beatles. But, I could very easily live in a world where they never existed. They really have had little to no effect on the music that I listen to. My musical thread shows a far greater influence from jazz (50% of my musical taste can be credited to Goodman's "Sing Sing Sing" and Scott's "Powerhouse"), classical (particularly Bach, Purcell, and Pachelbel in the mainstream stuff), Dylan, and avant-garde from the 30s-50s. I will credit them for motivating the Beach Boys to create some of the most interesting pop music of the early 60s and possibly ever. And, maybe for indirectly turning the Scott Walker into the mastermind that he is. But, outside of a couple of George Harrison's tunes, I could gladly go the rest of my life never hearing another one of their songs.

Though I do side with John Waters statement that they ruined rock and roll by taking all of the danger out of it.

16. Anaestheus

I can not think of truer words. For some weird reason, it seems like the worse the film, the more interesting the score by Morricone. And, equally, the higher prestige the film has, the more generic his work. I mean, his stuff for Tornatore is so boring and bland, yet his work for the crappy crime thrillers he was working on in the 60s still sounds ground breaking today.

17. Anaestheus

First one that comes to mind for me is the soundtrack to Danny Boyle's Trance, which I thought was one of the best scores of 2013.

18. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I can't agree. That would be implying that the other power players in music were basically the Beatles' children, forced to "take" the lesson that they weren't allowed to be harder, edgier (etc). But, gee, um... isn't the first rule of rock that nobody tells you what to do? What you can be? Rock groups by definition aren't supposed to use other bands as a template for how far they can go. That would go right against the leader vs follower dynamic of rock & roll opposing other genres.

I'm sorry but if anyone is ever to blame for trends, it's the consumer. I'm pretty sure the rule of capitalism has always been that change happens where the money goes. Not to mention that consumers aren't artists and they bitch like hell whenever something they don't like is popular. Just look at "Disco Sucks." Or condescending attitudes against punk music. Pushback against themes of sexual androgyny whenever they arise. Why David Bowie was called faggot for having long hair and why Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zeppelin never were. Double standards abound. The Beatles never really gave audiences the "okay" to criticize Pink Floyd or Frank Zappa for being too dark or trippy or weird, just the same as John Denver had no qualms taking the same platform as Twisted Sister against other people dictating what virtues music was allowed to extol.

And: same thing applies to "Nirvana gave us Nickelback" or similar arguments.

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I never understood the overly harsh criticism Nickelback receives. They aren't that bad, and are excellent live from what I've read. I blame mp3's for today's music being as dreadful as it is. The record companies are punishing us all. Thank goodness AC/DC sold more tickets than Taylor Swift last year. All hope isn't completely lost.

I went into Newbury Comics this past weekend and there was more vinyl than CD's. It was as though I went back in time.

20. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Nickelback aren't terrible. They're just bland. Like, when you ask someone what type of music they listen to, and they say, "Oh, I like all kinds!" That person owns at least one Nickelback album.

Harry Warden, zbinks and Fistfuck like this.