Unpopular opinions!

Discussion in 'General' started by _pi_, Nov 6, 2007.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm going to catch shit for this I'm sure, but I haven't been a big fan of Metallica's live performances since the Black album. Last time I saw them was in 97 at MSG and wasn't impressed (nor have I been watching them on TV live since). Now their live stuff during and before 91 was unreal. I saw Maiden in 2000 at MSG and they were equally amazing, and I'm not a huge Maiden fan. I try and see as many acts live to support the bands as I can, but like me, they're not getting any younger. My favorite, AC/DC, are probably done. Their lead singer is 65 years old. :eek:

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It's as though today's musicians(?) are "selected" due to the way they look. Marilyn Manson may not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least the guy can fucking sing!

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I fully agree that crappy music has led to the poor sales. No argument there. But seriously, do you think if the quality of music went up, impoverished teens would suddenly start blowing their allowances on CDs? Hardly. The crappiness of today's music is just a crutch. The reality is that people are not going to pay money for something if they can get it for free, regardless of quality.

This is something I'll admit the recording industry has failed to adapt to.

This is more the way to go, but it's not an indication that more downloads = more fans. It just means you can't make money on recorded music anymore. Sad fact of life. The only way to make money on music is to play gigs.

If you see the movie "The Other F Word" (and you all should, it's great), they spell this out. Pennywise (who suck, but they're the main focus of the movie) say they just can't stay afloat with recordings, so they have to tour 200+ days of the year just to get some cash inflow.

While you all may say "so what?" and that Miley Cyrus seems to be doing just fine cash wise making her shit music, I say what about recording studios? If bands can't make money recording, they just won't do it as often (and they're not, as some of you have already said). So studios shut down. Same with record stores.

Declining record sales don't just put bands and overpaid executives out of work, it also puts hardworking honest and talented people in the business of recording and selling music out of work.

I'll also admit I don't have the solution to this. Clearly, the way the recording industry clamped down on file sharing with outrageous lawsuits on people who downloaded music totally backfired on them. They need to embrace change, something they're totally failing to do. The last disruption this big in the music biz had to be the introduction of MTV, where music suddenly became VISUAL. Ugly but talented musicians suddenly fell to the wayside. This shitstorm is much bigger though, and no one is handling it properly yet.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I think the only solution is to figuratively burn the whole system to the ground and start from scratch. That's pretty much what's beginning to take shape anyways. Technology has progressed to the point where we don't NEED the industry anymore. We don't need industry money to professionally produce albums because most of us have computers good enough to record and mix our own to "near" professional quality if we want to. We don't need industry money to publish our music or press discs because it costs next to nothing for a band to create digital downloads. We don't need music industry money to promote our music when we have access to Facebook and Myspace and the like to make contact directly with our fanbase.

MTV? Who even watches that for music videos anymore? Everybody goes to Youtube now, and hey! You can shoot a quickie video just like as was seen back in the golden age of MTV and put one up there too!

The recording industry is on death row. They just haven't quite gotten the message yet.

5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The RIAA really doesn't have any say-so when it comes to material that hasn't been commercially released. This would all depend on the artist in question and their policies (if they even have one) on peer-to-peer downloading unreleased materials.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Actually, MTV handled things quite well. Everyone bitches about how "they don't play videos", but really, who cares about music videos anymore? They ran their course. MTV saw that, and changed their programming accordingly. In other words, they adapted to the times.

While I do agree with Maybrick's suggestion that things have to change from the ground up, and that a lot of high-salaried people in the music industry are no longer needed, there is one important thing to consider: If people can't make money making music, they just won't do it. The Screaming Buttheads could get a billion downloads with the most amazing music ever recorded, and if that nets them exactly $0, The Screaming Buttheads are gonna sell their instruments and go get jobs at Walmart. I'm exaggerating of course, but there is some truth to that scenario...

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

You are absolutely right, Metallica is UNLISTENABLE live anymore. They have let their skills deteriorate SO MUCH. It makes me appreciate Megadeth because while Mustaine is nuts they still are pretty sharp. Maiden puts on a fantastic show even now.

This.

I have friends in working bands. They make no money selling music (downloads/cds) they do make money touring and oddly clean up with vinyl and merch, especially in Europe.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Did you watch them play Enter Sandman at Yankee Stadium for Mariano Rivera day or whatever that was? I wanted to crawl under my bed it was so bad.

9. maybrick

Most artists weren't making money producing albums "professionally" anyways. Historically speaking new artists have always been fucked over because they're young and naïve and without proper legal representation. The Rolling Stones? The Kinks? Just two examples of famous bands who were lucky to see even a nickel back during their 60s heyday, and neither one owns those songs anymore. A typical scheme was to sign an artist for, let's say, $1 million dollars for a two album contract. But what they don't tell them is that money is supposed to be used for production costs. The label books studio time with a famous producer, they spend months in the studio and at the end they're handed a bill in the hundreds of thousands. Not to mention all of the hidden costs. Whatever is left is then divided up between the individual musicians. But they're still obligated to put out that second album! To make matters worse, whatever percentage of the profits they were promised is usually non existent because they have creative bookkeepers that are able to claim losses in the face of record profits.

I believe that it was En Vogue about 20 years ago who sued their label over this. They had several hit singles, sold millions or albums and won awards, but each member of the group still only managed to make about $8,000 for the entire year. Or something like that.

So with that kind of thing going on in mind, musicians are really sacrificing very little by going DIY. They're in a far better position to make money without them than with them.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  10. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Halloween 4 is one if the best horror sequels

11. maybrick

How DARE you go back on topic? :lol:

12. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

[​IMG]

13. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I'm no business expert, but I feel like the industries involved in music, movies and games just need to realize they can't fight the piracy and work ways around it. I sincerely don't believe a band like Pennywise (since they were brought up early) made more money by having a record company and stores taking what must be a huge portion of what must be relatively low sales than what they could make selling autographs and hawking merch themselves online to a huge amount of people in comparison to the old days of just selling shit at concerts. It's just a different way to skin a cat. When other doors close, new ones tend to open. On the grand scale, are they losing money due to piracy? Of course, but the world is never going to change its actions, so they have to find a new way to make revenue. Talented people are letting people listen to their music for free online these days, it's not as though competition has dwindled, it's exponentially increased. I know video game developers cry when their games don't sell too hot and cry piracy, well you've got Joe Schmo who just wants people to play his quirky, addictive little free game on the iPhone, and you want $60 for a run of the mill game that's not a whole heck of a lot of fun? How come the fact that your shit sucks compared to someone who did it for free doesn't play a factor?

Obviously I'd never say these people don't have a right to bitch, but times change. We all bought DVDs, now we've got hundreds of them taking up space that we never watch. It was a novelty, but now with streaming and instant viewing, the physical media (which I of course prefer) is obviously considered meaningless to the average person. I just say if you're crying because you can't make a living exclusively in the music/movie industry - news flash, it's not that easy to do, that's why people don't often choose it as a career path. Especially if you're not mass audience-focused and outrageously good looking to make it as the execs these days seem to require. Or at the very least if you're not forward thinking enough to realize, not picking on Pennywise, that no one's going to care about 50 year old punk rockers or want to see a Miley Cyrus type sing stupid 30 year old pop songs, especially if she loses her looks.

I think of it like this, the 70s/80s era bands wrote songs that people could listen to as they got older. The popular groups for guys when I was in adolescence were like fucking Blink 182, Korn, Limp Bizkit, DMX, etc. Why in the blue hell approaching 30 would I really want to see any of these people in concerts? There's just little lasting power in that shit. If Justin Bieber complained about piracy, I'd say fuck yeah, he's losing millions. Smaller groups, although they need the money the most, realistically, how much can they be losing for their share or music residuals when factoring in expenses, managers, divided up by however many people are in the band, plus taxes? I just don't think it's enough to sway people from either being in or out of the music business for how much small acts are likely to sell via the actual albums, with piracy or not.

14. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

It's shockingly embarrassing. To think they were once these out of control kids writing those first three albums. Awful.

Listening to raw audio is just a mess of dropped notes and sloppy play.

It's not art, but it is sure as hell fun.

Good Christ that line made me sad.

15. maybrick

Those were dark days. Back when spelling Corn with a "K" was considered EXTREME!

16. maybrick

Here's an unpopular opinion, at least among my Facebook friends: I don't give a rat about GMOs. Organic foods? A waste of money.

For a little perspective, one person I knew who was obsessed with them became diabetic. Another one had a child who almost died from E. coli and also developed diabetes. And a number of them wound up having autistic children. So ultimately I'm just not convinced that eating organically is any more healthy than the "regular" way.

On a related note, it makes sense to watch how much meat you eat. I even have vegetarian days from time to time. But the few people I've met who were vegan seemed both physically and mentally ill. One I knew looked like she came straight out of Auschwitz before she died in her early 30s.

We have evolved to be omnivorous. It seems unnatural to me to be a full on vegetarian. Or meat eater for that matter.

17. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

- Music videos are actually more popular than they ever been. Every top 40 single has millions of views and thousands upon thousands of people commenting and sharing on social media. Playing videos over the air without the ability to comment/like/share/pause/replay is obsolete. MTV got the right idea by not playing videos anymore.

- The reason artists only release 1 album every few years is because record labels have to push different stars at different time periods due to stagnation. They have album releases down to a formula of peeks and valleys and it's more beneficial for them to not let 1 artist get played out. Indie artists release albums whenever they please.

As far as piracy goes:

2013: Highest box office of all time

Legal music streams are the future

Video game revenue projected to hit $111 billion in 2015

Its negative impact is way overblown.

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

The article does list other reasons for this besides piracy, though. The fact that in '99 lots of people were replacing cassettes with CDs, the recession at the end of the decade, and the fact that people who are interested in buying their music online can do it piece-by-piece, rather than being required to buy a whole album, and the fact that no new physical medium has arisen to take the place of CDs. People here have mentioned the quality of modern music as another reason, which I'd agree with, and I also think its important to note the significant price difference between a CD in '99, and one in '09. So one can't look at the graph of declining sales figures and directly extrapolate that to a similar pattern in overall album sales. Obviously that's probably trending downwards a lot too, but not necessarily at the same rate.

I believe the correct spelling is "[size=+3]X[/size]treme".

Oh for fuck's sake, organic food is a sham. A marketing gimmick designed to prey upon those with too much money. What a complete crock of shit. I had to buy organic bananas at twice the price of regular ones the other day because that was all the grocery store had, and it made me furious. I was being completely ripped off. I felt like hiding them under other groceries in the check-out line because I didn't want other shoppers to see. Of course the went rotten half a day later. Using the term "organic" on your product is unregulated, and could mean anything. It's also been shown that there is often absolutely no difference in pesticide levels or other chemicals between organic and non-organic food. It makes me sick.

19. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Unpop. Opinions:

Halloween 4 sucks.

&...

While today's music is nothing to rave about, I consider the 10s better than the 90s-00s. The fake grit period of the early 00s makes the artsy side of me squirm in disgust.

20. maybrick

With all due respect, MTV gave up on music videos loooooong before social media became normalized.