Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

$22.99 is what I paid for Prince of Darkness on amazon after pre-order, but I don't know anything about Comet or Precinct, as I didn't buy those. You're right, though, HMV does seem to have pricing similar to amazon's. Did those two titles ever get that low on amazon? or were they in the low-$20's as well?

I wonder if this new Canadian distributor has something to do with the fact that amazon's pre-order prices aren't dropping as far as they used to? Spawningblue seems to know a bit about that. Maybe he could give a bit more details about this new system? But I know that things like Vampire Lovers and Dark Angel were both around $12.99, but The Beast Within was $16.49. The Fog was $19.99, and The Burning was only $17.99, but now things like Body Bags, and the X-Ray/Schizoid double feature, and Prince of Darkness are all $22.99. Maybe it's just a co-incidence?

That's why I've stopped trying to grab everything Scream Factory puts out, though. The prices have gone up to the point that it stops being easy to justify on a regular basis. That, and they're releasing more and more films, which makes it harder to keep up (interestingly, though, as they release more and more, the titles they announce have become less appealing, to the point where its only every odd one that I want, rather than every single release when they first started).

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen part 2, but Alligator is a great movie! I'd definitely pick that up if they released it. Lake Placid...well, it's a fun movie, but not one I feel any need to own or watch again. I'm fine with them releasing it, though. I'd prefer that they put out stuff like that, rather than the lame new films they've released, like Cockneys Vs Zombies or whatever the hell it was called.

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I got lucky and ordered a lot of Shout/ Scream's titles from Cineplex Odeon's screw up. Every title was $3, except Bruce Lee Collection and Amityville Trilogy were $2! I've received about half of them so far, here's hoping the rest show up!

As for the current prices, I'm not sure why they have been all over the place the last month or two, a lot of them more then the expected $20. As far as I know the new distributor hasn't released anything yet. That should start in the next week or two, that's why there has been a delay with newer titles here, and they are harder to find. I'm curious to see what the prices will be then, hopefully in our favour.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I managed to snag Cat People from HMV last weekend. They have copies. $25, but whatever that's how much it was everywhere. There's shrinkwrap over the slipcases now, too, but it doesn't damage the slipcase.

The prices are getting pretty high too. I still wanna grab Psycho II and III, Prince of Darkness and Assault. While the last two are still pretty cheap, Psycho II and III are $25.59. Fuck that.

But you think if I order Psycho II and III from amazon.ca it'll come with a slipcase????

~Matt

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

wait a minute, what?! when did this happen? can I still get in on this? fuck, that's amazing! I would have ordered their entire damn catalogue!

:lol: that just doesn't get old!

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

No 90's sucked bitching, just the selection itself sucks bitching :)

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

It happened in Nov. I believe, I thought someone mentioned it on here? Maybe it was Blu-ray.com? Sorry, I would have mentioned it on here but I found out late myself and placed a bunch of orders at the last second. Everyone thought they would cancel the orders, but to all of our surprise they started shipping them out. Unfortunately they stopped at the end of Dec., and all the titles disappeared from the site and our orders, that's how I found out about the new distributor. Thankfully, they are all back on the site and back on our orders, so hopefully we get the rest shipped out soon.

I already had most of their catalog, but yeah I purchased everything I was missing, as well as pre-ordered everything that was coming out. The only titles they didn't they have were Body Bags and the Vincent Price Collection for some reason. If I get the Bruce Lee Collection for $2 it will be amazing!

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ Deserves its own thread.

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

10. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...17115478.24939.103961936407493&type=1&theater

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

what other artwork has this guy done for Scream? It immediately makes me think of the Phantasm II art.

12. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I know he definitely didn't do PHANTASM II or AMITYVILLE - that was the same artist.

This guy's art has been all over the place and used for various conventions and magazine covers. I've always liked this guy's style and design, so I'm glad they went with him on this one! I only wish they'd use him more often as I do think he has a knack for nailing the likeness of the actors more accurately than some of the others do.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

you're right about that, it is a very accurate portrait of the two leads. Actually, not a bad cover. Is it a straight drawing? Or is it done using photos? I can't really tell.

oh, and yeah, that makes sense that Phantasm and Amityville were done by the same person. I'm not a big fan of either of those - they look very much like they were made in photoshop.

14. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I think the only other one he has done is The Vincent Price Collection. I really love his work. This Ginger Snaps cover is one of my favorite that Scream Factory has put out thus far.

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

y'know I was just thinking about the Vincent Price cover, after all of this floating heads discussion. It's still got his portrait on the cover (literally), but its an amazing cover. Absolutely one of their best. I think this guy understands how to make the portrait-as-cover-art thing work.

I'm retracting my earlier comparison between the Ginger Snaps cover and Phantasm. I think I initially thought they were similar just due to the highly accurate representation of the actors' faces. But conceptually, they're on quite different levels.

16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I don't mind the art as a whole but the eyes look really odd.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I don't know if anybody has mentioned this, but I was completely unaware that Catacombs, on the All Night Horror Marathon vol. Two dvd was not only not full frame, as it's advertised on the back cover, and on Shout! Factory's website, but also contains a director's commentary. That's kind of a nice surprise.

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I swear The Outing was the same and was not full frame as advertised. I'll have to double check.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Outing was definitely Full Frame. ...unless they changed it on the later issue of the set that replaced Schizoid with What's the Matter With Helen?

I seem to remember The Godsend from that set was listed as Anamorphic Widescreen on the back cover, but was actually just 4x3 Letterbox on the disc.

They also listed Unholy Rollers as "Full Frame" on the 4 Cult Movie Marathon: Volume One set, but it was actually Anamorphic Widescreen on the disc.

Shout could definitely use some better proofreaders/checkers when it comes to these things.

20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It could have been changed when they re-issued the disc. I'm not sure though.

Its very surprising that they're this shit with getting the details of what they're releasing right. It really doesn't seem like a hard thing to do, but like you say, it seems to happen a lot with them.