Videomannen (2018)

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Katatonia, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

[​IMG]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5295774/

Videomannen (aka Videoman) is a Swedish film and not exactly Horror per se... but features strong Horror elements integral to the plot. It plays more as a Crime/Thriller/Comedy/Romance mix, it's just difficult to classify it into a single genre.

I personally loved it. Let's just say if you like the 80's, VHS tape collecting, Lucio Fulci, or Giallo then you'll find a lot to like here. The film has a great look to it, and a suitable 80's synth score by Waveshaper. The film itself is set entirely in the present day, so it's not really a "retro" copy of an 80's era style. An English review of the film can be read here.

Oh... and Samantha Fox (the buxom 80's pop singer) does a song and shot a music video for the film.

Has anyone else here seen it? It's only been released thus far as I am aware as a Swedish Blu-ray (region-free) that has optional English subtitles.

Steel76 and baggio like this.
  2. sinister

sinister Active Member

Saw you mentioned this over in the Blue Underground thread and thought it looked interesting enough to chance a blind buy of the Swedish Blu-ray.

Loved it, definitely my best blind buy in a long time. Agree that it's not easy to categorise... a film for horror movie fans rather than directly a horror movie itself. The Fulci/Argento argument was genius! :D

Thanks.

Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The Video Invest line, like that Zombie tape, have always been some of the most collectable tapes over here in Sweden.

It was a sublabel of VTC, that released Fulci movies, Cannibal films, the unrated version of The Burning etc.

Back in the 90:s, when the unrated cut of The Burning was very hard to find, the tape sold for around equal to $200-300. And that was 30 years ago. This was at a time, when retail VHS movies usually sold for $15.

I had Zombie and City of the living Dead, a few years back. These days they sell for around $70-100. So what Ennio got for the tape in the movie, is pretty insane :D

The reason why they are so valuable, amongst VHS collectors, is because they were only available for a short period, back in the early 80:s.
    Then they where taken of the shelfs, when the censors went crazy, for a couple of years.
    Parent went apeshit, because their kids was renting those movies. It was easy back then, as the rental stores, didn't give a shit about, if you were below 15.

Back in december 1980, there was a show on tv, "Studio S", which had a bunch of pissed of parent, complaining about the videos. As we don't have any censorship on tv in Sweden, they showed uncut clips from these films.
    Things backfired for them though, as suddenly the sales of videoplayers and rentals skyrocketed.
    In early 1981, my dad bought a VHS player.
    I was 5 at the time, and the first movie we watched, was Bruce Lee's "The Big Boss".
    There was also a bunch of awesome Italian B movies that we watched.
    I guess that's why I love HK and Italian classics today.

At times, I really miss the VHS era. All the wierd and wonderful filth, available in the videostores. :D

hots4, Christy, sinister and 2 others like this.
  4. Christy

Christy Active Member

I don't miss VHS at all. However this movie is hilarious lol! :D

Katatonia and Steel76 like this.