Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Back when they did the 5 Films 5 Years sets and made subscribers get the adult titles, I got $100 each for the Golden Age Erotica editions. That paid for a big chunk of the subscription right there. Memories Within Miss Aggie with slip got me another $50 on top of that.

Also, when you take into account some are upgrades, you can also pay for some of it by selling your old editions. I recently got $30 for Hitcher In The Dark DVD, $22 for Rush Week DVD, and $20 for Shallow Grave VHS. So even though it seems like a lot of money when you place that subscription order, I always end up making a chunk of it back.

chancetx and dave13 like this.
  2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

They only started doing the 50% off SRP official partner label releases for 2021's subscription - so that's a brand new perk for subscribers this year. As to the VSA line, last year they had 7 VSA releases, which was 3 more titles than the previous year (which was when they first started the line) which had 4. So 2020 had pretty much doubled the VSA titles from 2019. I've bought all of the VSA line but one (Spellcaster - as I've seen it and was not a fan), but have really been digging the action flicks in the line and I love Dr. Jekyll's Dungeon of Darkness. Huge fan of the VSA line personally.

As to selling off titles, if a slipcover title goes OOP and is in demand I've been able to sell them for between $40 CAD to $100 CAD each on average (which is double to 5x what I paid for it with my subscription), the one VSA I sold went for $100 CAD, and as Cpt. Hook said above I actually sold all 4 volumes I had of the 5 Films 5 Years sets (which were a BONUS perk for that subscription year) together in a lot on ebay for $500 CAD - that alone basically covered 3/4 of that year's subscription cost. While those sets are an anomaly since a special perk that year, VS titles on a whole - especially with the LE slips you never have to worry about missing out on as a subscriber - hold or multiply their value on the resale market.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Myron Breck and dave13 like this.
  3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

A late response from me, but here goes...

Graverobbers and Cemetery Of Terror are very similar in tone, so if you enjoy one, you should enjoy the other. Both are energetic, with high-strung Mexican acting, rubbery but cool zombie makeup, some gore, and jump scares that don't quite work. Both are in Spanish, whereas Don't Panic is in English. Don't Panic has the weakest opening act, with some lame 80's teenage romance, but there is an interesting premise of a supernatural link between the hero and the killer. Whenever the killer is about to claim a victim, the hero sees through the killer's eyes, rendering the hero effectively blind (though in some scenes he is unimpaired). For anyone looking to test the waters and see if late 80's Mexican horror is their thing, I'd probably tell them to start with Graverobbers.

I watched Silent Madness in 2D, and certain scenes have a fuzzy quality to them because they were shot for a 3D presentation. Still, the DVD had one of those awful VHS rips, and this presentation definitely improved my viewing pleasure. I'd probably class it as a lower middle tier slasher. It has a likable and resourceful heroine, and the final chase is quite good, but the whole subplot with the mental facility sending out two goons to silence the heroine because she's too close to the truth is a bit jarring. Not because the idea itself is bad, but because the two goons are really goofy. I get that we can't have them upstaging the killer, but they do cause a shift in tone that I didn't much care for. That said, there is an attempted rape scene which is cut short in such a buffoonish manner that I surrendered and just had fun with the silliness of it all. There's even a neat little twist at the end. Gore is restrained, but to whom it may concern, there are boobs. I'd recommend it to slasher fans.

russweiss and othervoice1 like this.
  4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Damn, y'all are making a lot of financial sense. Maybe I'll try it next time.

5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info everyone - I ended up getting Graverobbers and Cemetery of Terror. I watched Graverobbers already and I enjoyed it - didnt blow me away but it was fun. So am looking forward to Cemetery of Terror next.

russweiss and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So House of the Usher, any good? I can't find a trailer for it. I don't like Hammer Horror stuff so if it's like that then I'll likely be bored.

Also, thoughts on Cthulhu Mansion? Trailer made it look kind of fun.

7. CPT HOOK

Sounds like VS has mixed up their schedule a bit:

"February is now Giallo Collection 3, Hitcher in the Dark, 90s slasher."

"The 80s horror and slasher titles were pushed a bit due to elements delays, which are now luckily resolved."

8. killit

killit Active Member

Where did you get that info, I swear they don’t send any damn email to subbers

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Joe Rubin, under his Lee Jones pseudonym, posted it as a response about the upcoming February slate in The Official Vinegar Syndrome Fan Group.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  10. foller

foller Active Member

Those of you who bought the slipcover version of Blood Games during their Black Friday sale should check their copies. It turned out that VS simply put some leftover slipcovers over the standard pressing. As a result these copies don't have the original red VHS cover that used to be on the reverse of the first pressing. Very surprised that VS would do something like that.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I purchased a copy of Blood Games during the Black Friday event and I also had one that was sent with my yearly subscription. I wasn't able to see any difference between them. Both came with a reversible insert that was between the blu-ray and the slipcover. If this is what you are referring to just check inside the slip as you may not have noticed it.

12. foller

foller Active Member

The first edition had 3 cover options: 2 VHS Covers on the insert in the keep case and a new one on the slip. The standard edition only has two options. They exchanged one VHS artwort for the same art that is on the slipcover.

13. Zombie Dude

Anybody?

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm not really sure if I've seen House of Usher before or not. It kind of sounds familiar, but if I did it was many years ago.

Cthulhu Mansion though, I've owned on VHS for like almost 30 years. It also used to play on late-night cable years ago. It's a fun little film, and if you like other Juan Piquer Simón films you'll know what to expect. Frank Finlay does a good job in the lead role. Is it a great cult film like Pieces? No... but it'll be nice to finally see it have a good transfer for once.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. Zombie Dude

Thanks Kat. House of the Usher sounds familiar to me but I've definitely never seen it. I'd still be curious to hear thoughts here from anyone who has.

I didn't realise Juan Piquer Simón directed Cthulhu Mansion though. I like parts of Pieces but have more of a blast with Slugs. Maybe it might be worth giving this one a go then.

Katatonia likes this.
  16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Haven't seen it myself but did order it, but since it's from the same team behind the 1989 updated Masque of Red Death (that Scorpion put out on Blu last year) I imagine it's in a similar vein to that one if you've seen it. Which is a very late '80s-style update on Poe complete with plenty of goofy non-sensical set-pieces and '80s gore.

17. CPT HOOK

February titles revealed Feb 1st.

Their tease image looks an awful lot like Morty from The Fear (1995)...

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Got my Beastmaster (replacement) shipping notice today.

Myron Breck and othervoice1 like this.
  19. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I don't remember seeing a shipping notification but my Beastmaster replacement disc showed up today. Hats off to Vinegar Syndrome and their automatic replacement process!

baggio, Zombie Dude and Myron Breck like this.
  20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Are the Beastmaster replacement discs auto ship or did we need to contact VS to request one?