Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

My record store got ticks and laughing dead in I am getting ticks but how is laughing dead?

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Pretty sure that Champagne & Bullets had well over 500 in stock at the time Vinegar Syndrome closed their online shop. About 30 minutes into the sale, it was sold out. I really wanted to buy it at the sale price, but missed out. Can't believe they sold that many so quickly!?!

X-human likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure about replay value, but it's an oddity with some crazy gore effects. I enjoyed it, and was interested to learn it was filmed at the Old Tuscon Studios, which I visited a few years back.

fceurich39 likes this.
  4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow, we're looking at nearly an UHD every month next year! And they can always bump up to UHD if the numbers warrant it so there may be more. VS is really being aggressive here and I love it.

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out with Thriller. Obviously if VS's claim proves bona fide then we've got an exciting release to look forward too whereas the Synapse wouldn't be much more than a consolidation prize. At least the scuffle forced Synapse to actually move quickly with what they had; something Synapse hasn't done in a decade.

Yes, I wasn't in a particular hurry to buy C&B and I only rushed to secure a WNUF cassette (which even now is still in stock). Surprisingly though C&B had an original run of 6,000 so there being only 500 left means there was great interest in it. Not so surprising in retrospect. It's too bad it's a VSA so won't be reprinted in any capacity and I really question that program. I haven't personally been burned by it but I see it as a scorched earth policy that really isn't fair to these films, their fans nor anyone else who just wants them.

Meanwhile Green Jello Suxx Live quickly sold hundreds when first released but hasn't budged since and is still at over 50% in stock. Naturally that one I hastily bought at full price even before the Memorial Day sale. Got me to free S&H so I can't complain.

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I had a dvd of it for years and have watched it numerous times. I find it very fun and was awaiting a legitimate US release for years now.

fceurich39 likes this.
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

It wasn't reprinted by Vinegar Syndrome, but the only VSA that I can recall getting a prompt reissue would be Action U.S.A. Vinegar Syndrome released it on Black Friday last year. That sold out very quickly and was released earlier this year by MVD with different slipcover art.

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Will Creature have a wide release in a few months?

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Shit. Despite blowing another $100 on vinyl on Friday (but man, I got some good shit), I'm getting FOMO on that Don't Answer the Phone slip. It looks better than the movie!

Might go back and fill some more old catalog titles. There's some new VS releases I want, but I'm waiting for Valentine's Day for the skin, and Halfway sale to get some better prices.

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Added the following:

Nothing Underneath
    Cutting Class
    Nightmare Weekend
    Rush Week

I need to stop now.

Paff likes this.
  10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I appreciate what your saying about UHD, but from my perspective these releases are very expensive. If they were to do UHD and separate blu ray releases then happy days, but this is gonna be the point when I'm gonna have to stop buying stuff, I may be persuaded to buy things that I already know and want but a lot of VS stuff for me are blind buys and I just won't be able to justify that kind of price, prime example 'Scanner Cop 1&2', even on the sale it was $40, if this was a blu only set it would be cheaper and I would have had a go with it, at this price, I will never get it, I just cant justify it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    loutoad23, dave13 and Steel76 like this.
  11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's way to expensive for that crap. And it's not the kind of movies I need on UHD either. When it comes to direct to video trash, I'm fine with Blu-Ray.
    It's safer for them to make combo packs, but I still wish that they would offer UHD or BD only options at a cheaper price.

Ticks is another one, that I would gladly just buy a BD of. There was zero improvements of fine details on the UHD, and the HDR/color saturation was a bit over the top.

If these releases keep getting more expensive, I might stop collecting movies. $50 is way to expensive.
    Arrow UK releases lots of cool UHD editions, cheaper than what Vinegar and Blue-Underground does, with just a slipcase.

hots4 likes this.
  12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Blu ray.com has reviews up for 'Flesh For Frankenstein', 'Creature', Trauma & 'Steel & Lace'.

fceurich39 likes this.
  13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Same for me. I bought a mid-level 4K tv (47") and player a few years ago (both were expensive, well-reviewed machines, although I can't recall the specs at the moment), along with a handful of 4k titles. But honestly, I could barely see any difference. I probably needed a bigger tv, but the space we were buying it for wouldnt really take anything bigger. So I haven't bothered to buy any more 4k discs. It just seems like a waste of money. I was happy that Synapse offered a blu ray only version of the Demons films, for example. And I would much rather buy a blu ray only version of Flesh for Frankenstein or Blood for Dracula. And blind buys on things like the Scanner Cop set would be a lot more appealing if they were $10 cheaper.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    baggio, hots4 and maybrick like this.
  14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

It's funny, this feels very similar to when they started packaging digital copies with dvds 15 years ago and charged extra for what was supposedly a bonus, but which I had absolutely no use for. It always felt like I was being taken advantage of.

hots4 likes this.
  15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I caved on the Don't Answer the Phone slip, and threw in Welcome Home Brother Charles/Emma Mae and The Bees just 'cuz I was on the site. I'll really be going off on the May sale, when hopefully there's no other competing events like this past weekend.

dave13 likes this.
  16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I know we've gone over this before but with the 2021 subscription the titles worked out to about $16.00 each. The argument of course is that you will get lots of titles you don't want. Bottom line any limited edition release these days is a bargain at $16.00. I brought up Flesh For Frankenstein as a good example. $16.00 with the sub or $50.00 without. No guarantee that VS will release as many titles next year as they did this year but we already know there are going to be me more UHD releases. Also in previous years the cost was still under $17.00 each which is still a great deal.

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Agreed. I’m not against 4K technology but until they make 3D sets again I’m not willing to upgrade. Aside from that, I have zero interest in owning a set larger than the 42” I already have and I wear glasses so my eyesight isn’t that great to begin with. There is very little reason that I can see why after buying all of my favorite movies on DVD and then again on blu ray I should do it a third time on 4K. Forget it.

hots4 likes this.
  18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Wrong thread, but coincidentally I just saw that Scream Factory is releasing Lewis Teague's Aligator in a 4k and BD combo pack. I've been wanting a blu ray of that for a while, and I'm excited that it will finally be available, but it sucks that that's the only way to get it. Being manipulated like that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

hots4 likes this.
  19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Jared from Mondo Macabro chimed in on the Thriller situation.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=19613003&postcount=5035

Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Fascinating. Christian Muth has chimed in a bit too but hasn't confirmed much.

I wonder what Synapse has to convince themselves that they're in the right and can act so boldly. I wonder what Vibenius has to convince VS, MM, etc., otherwise. Vibenius's case would be more straight forward (if correct).

Someone got it wrong, and both have undoubtedly consulted lawyers, so it's difficult for any of us on the outside to say what's what.

Normally I'd lay off the release by the company in Synapse's position, but this is a rare instance where we have a "legal bootleg" release by a company I otherwise like releasing a rare bird movie I also rather like. To me the novelty of this Blu-ray is worth the pre-order. I'm going to buy both and gladly pay full price for the privilege to secure them. Not something I do for their other releases which I typically hold off on for sales. Maybe that's their game all along to create controversy and draw in more eye balls and clickbait more purchases upfront. ;)