What was your biggest letdown at the theater?

Discussion in 'General' started by rijir, Oct 1, 2007.

1. rijir

rijir Member

Okay. Now i'm not talking about films that you went to with mixed expectations. What movie did you go to see that you were totally excited about and it just was a total dissapointment.

One of the biggest for me was Alien 3.

Alien is my all time favorite and Aliens just totally rocked. I was so excited when Alien 3 came out we went the first night. No internet for me back then so no early warnings of how good or bad it would be. I was sure it was going to be great. But I left that theater so dissapointed. My favorite franchise was ruined........and it is still a disaster with Resurection and AVP.

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Easily Terminator 3. My then-girlfriend and I were really looking forward to it, and it crushed our expectations to death with its lame plot that contradicted the point of T2. Not even Claire Danes could save it, what with its totally cheesy villain and videogame CGI.

Ugh. We were so, so disappointed that we opted to sneak into Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and were impressed by comparison.

3. onebyone

onebyone Guest

When I first saw that title of this thread Alien 3 came right to mind. I was SO excited to see that movie. I was there opening day first showing and just got SHOT DOWN hard. Because I am such a total nerd, the whole experience was pretty much devastating. I can remember what the theater was like clear as day, like a major life event, the day the Aliens died. I still get pissed off just thinking about it.

Nothing has come close to disappointing me as much as that movie did. Once bitten twice shy babe.

4. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Godzilla (1998). Without a doubt. I have, considering the budget and resources afforded to it, deemed it the worst film that I have ever seen. I paid to have fun and get lost in Godzilla mayhem. What I got instead was a soulless, painfully by the numbers special effects reel with opening and closing credits.

I'm still bitter.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  5. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Spider-man 3

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

The Stepford Wives remake, no contest. The original is one of my all-time favorites, but I accepted the fact that they wanted to turn the story into more of a comedy. And it could have been a good comedy--only it wasn't. It sucked big time. The only decent thing about the film was Bette Midler's amusing performance.

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    DITTO. Don't even get me started on that typical dumbed-down "humor" forced on the public. It could have been titled anything BUT Godzilla. After leaving the theater, I laughed at the studio supporting the film with a big premiere and an overdone party as if a foreign prime minister was visiting the city. All that money...for "that"...:eek2:

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Biggest disappoint was probably Land of the Dead, but ultimately I like the movie, I just expected more (as most of us probably did). I don't generally get disappointed in theaters because if I'm spending good money on a ticket I generally know what I'm getting into beforehand.

My greatest disappointments have been on DTV releases. I remember getting really pissed off with Return to Salem's Lot and C.H.U.D. II: Bud the Chud. I expected direct sequels, but today I can appreciate RtSL for what it is now that the initial shock has worn off. I'll NEVER like Bud the Chud!

9. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Eyes Wide Shut. I held a piss for 90 minutes waiting for something to happen.

For horror, Jason Goes to Hell. I knew we were in for a ride when the doctor started chewing on the heart.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

There's a bunch, I don't know if this is the #1 for me, but off the top of my head I'll say Jason Goes to Hell.

Same thing as rijir said about no internet to get any info.

I would give a vote for Alien 3 also.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  11. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

it's between the Star Wars prequels, X-Men 3, and Alien: Resurrection....all of them I went in all excited and came out realizing I had just watched crap. Sad thing is if they come out with another movie for any of these franchises I will go and see them. I'm such a sucker!

12. Slow

Slow Guest

Signs, that is all.

13. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I'm a chain smoker, so anything over 90 minutes I usually end up losing patience with by the final scenes at a theater (yet another reason to quit). But as for genuine letdowns, I almost walked out of the theater on Wrong Turn, and did end up leaving on the Texas Chainsaw remake...right at the scene where Sheriff Hoyt is babbling on in the car about Lynard Skynard, etc. God that movie sucked.

14. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Definitely Star Wars Episode 1. After such a long wait any movie would be difficult to meet fans expectations, but still…

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah, Phantom Menace was a huge let down. I was invited to a screening for a video game company on opening weekend, several employee's had already seen it and said that it was very good so I was pretty psyched. Seeing the opening crawl gave me goosebumps I hadn't have for a long time. Then the actual movie started and it quickly turned to crap, I'd say as soon as they were on the planet I knew the rest would suck.

But since this is in the horror section I'd have to say Land of the Dead was the biggest let down recently. After being pleasantly surprised by the Dawn remake I had been telling my friend "Land's coming though, and it'll blow the Dawn remake outta the water." Although my friend enjoyed it a lot I was fairly bummed out by Land not living up to its potential. Every time I heard the phrase "sky flower" it lost one outta five stars. By the end the film was in the negative numbers. Apparently Diary's even worse. :(

16. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Land of the Dead easily.

17. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Phantom Menace and it's not even close.

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Definitely Spider-Man 3! I have been a huge comic book nerd since forever, with Spidey being my favourite. I loved the first 2 and was so psyched about this one from all the previews and what not, and I didn't think there was any way Raimi or the rest of the cast could mess it up since they all did the first two. Boy was I wrong! Horrible story, script and acting. Oh, and they totally wasted venom who is also my favourite villain. Yuck!

Honorable mentions go to Terminator 3, Aliens vs. Predator, and Ghost Rider.

19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Alien 3, Godzilla & Blair Witch all have strong cases. I'll do some research and find a winner later.

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Batman and Robin for me. My group of friends were so pissed when we left the theater. We felt like kicking someone's ass because of it. lol.