When will Jaws be chomping its way to Blu-ray anyone know?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Jan 1, 2009.

1. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I have a friend that works for NBC and he told me to expect Jaws on BD this year.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

~Matt

3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'd like to see all 4 Jaws films on BD - that would encourage me to buy a machine. I enjoyed all of 'em.

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

yesss i sure hope so i also heard fight club may coming out in 09 as well

5. DTSGUY

DTSGUY Guest

As with any Spiellberg film, regardless of who owns the rights, he has full contractual control to oversee any color correction to original film elements (i.e: original neg, original interpositive), film to digital transfer and and remastering of sound. In a way, the ball is in his court as much as it is in Universal as to when these necessary procedures will be perfomred in mastering the film to blu-ray

6. DTSGUY

DTSGUY Guest

I hope they use the original artwork on the blu-ray case. That cartoony shit on the dvd's is crappy looking

7. Mr. Slausen

Mr. Slausen Guest

I've been anxiously awaiting the release of Jaws to Bluray myself. What I hate is when there's finally a special edition DVD that is loaded with extras and then the Bluray version comes out and it's the old DVD version with no extras. This isn't always the case, but it's why I don't own Commando on Bluray.

So, I hope that the Jaws Bluray release will include all the special features from the 30th anniversary DVD.

8. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Jaws and Jaws 2 would look outstanding on Blu-ray. Jaws 3 and Jaws 4: The Revenge are turds so I won't be buying them.

9. fceurich39

unless they would only jaws 1 and 2 in a box set with all four film;)

but yeah i am amazed a box set never came out all other universal owned franchises have box sets/franchise collections dvds

10. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Okay, then I would buy them, but parts 3 and 4 would

a. be resold to Hastings
    b. be thrown in the garbage
    c. be smashed with sledgehammer
    d. be given away to an enemy as "a gift."

MMMMWWWWHHHHAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAA! :lol:

11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I still want to see 3 in 3-D again.
    The movie didn't hold up, at all. I recently watched the existing dvd from the library. It was fucking hilarious, I literally laughed until I cried and almost shit myself at the big effect shot of the shark slamming through the glass. Holy fuck, I'm crying now thinking about how cheesy that was!
    Don't see any reason to re-visit 4 ever though. It's just bad without being bad enough to be worthwhile, like 3 is.

On a side note, fuck the cable and sat. HD channels that crop 2.35 films to 1.78. So annoying and just as bad as 4X3 pan and scan IMO. It seems like Showtime has the most HD films in OAR, HBO and Starz crop everything to 1.78.:fuck:

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't understand why channels are doing this. Spider-Man 3 was on TV the other night, and it was 1.78 instead of 2.35.

But one of the stupidest channels is AMC. They always show 1.85 films in 1.33, and 2.35 films in 1.78. I mean...wtf? Red Dawn is shown full frame (instead of 1.85) and when they show Pearl Harbor, it's 1.78 instead of 2.35. WTF is going on?

Halloween, however is still always shown at 1.33. What a disaster. Such a shitty movie channel, I can't believe it sometimes.

~Matt

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

1.78 is simply the new "fullscreen" of broadcast TV, especially for 2.35:1 films. The Star Wars films often shown on Spike are always presented 1.78:1, even though all the films have roughly 2.35:1 OARs.

14. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Can see this being released next summer for the 35th anniversary with The Shark Is Still Working as the 2nd disc.

15. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

OMG! :spit: :lol:

16. Yeah it's probably all true. I'm a big fan of the B'ray disc. It wouldn't surprise me if the 'ray transfer on Jaws gets all F'ed-up. Lousy sound, like 5.1 MA as opposed to 7.1, or even something like old school non-lossless Dolby because some director or studio guy wants it to remain true to some original dream. I say screw all of that and hand the entire project over to movie lovers. Remaster evry stinkin' frame, clean-up everything, digitize any and all needed effects and put a killer sound system to it. And offer it in it's

17. : - ) Yep, I don't doubt any of whats been mentioned here. Because so many people have a connection with this movie this is what will likely happen. It won't be some screamingly awesome version of the movie when it comes out on B'ray. Why, because to many of the people who can be legally, morally, or financially involved with it will be. It will this F'ed-up mess with a crappy soundtrack like some old school Dolby set-up. 'Cause that's the way it was in the theaters or on VHS, or worse yet DVD's. How many times does the consumer have to pay for the same old junk? Forget that, give the project to some indifferent movie lovers, then you'll see some killer visuals. Those guys would go through every frame and remaster the whole deal, clean it all up, re-color it if needed, digitize any screwy effects, like put a blast wave around the shark/boat when Brodie shoots that tank with that '06, or whatever rifle it was. Yeah we all saw Shark Week and we know that it wouldn't blow up like that so F'-it, change everything that modernizes the movie, pit more crap floatin' around the boat(s), more s**t inside the Tiger shark's stomach, like 'goo all ozin' out, where you can almost smell the stench of that nasty thing. More teeth in the hull of Ben's boat, cooler lookin' air bubbles, whatever it takes to bring in a new audience. Maybe show a shot of that girl who got eaten in that opening sequence, with crabs crawlin' all over her remains, do it up right. The way it should or may have been done if it were a 2009, or 2010 box office "R" release. Get J. J. Abrams to do it, then it will be right. Put 7.1 DTS MA to it, get the guys who did Batman The Dark Night to oversee it, that movie has a great soundtrack. For cryin' out loud fix that F'ed-up 2.3 or 2.4 screen ratio so those black bars are gone. I payed some descent money for my SONY XBR 5 52" and I want the whole veiwing area filled with giant human/shark interactions, I don't care how, make it 1.85. I love B'rays, and movies, I'm sick of these crappy releases on an otherwise great format. Also include some bonus material with it, like an original version with whatever screen ratio it was filmed in, probably 2.45, maybe 3-D. A Dolby lossless sound set-up, a two channel or 2.1 and mono if someone's interested. Put all that behind the sceens making of commentary, you could probably fit everything on one disc, not sure, I aint an expert. Screw it put it on two or three, and keep those DVD's out of there. Make a Jaws game, maybe some online stuff, BD live or whatever. Box the whole thing up and I'll pay maybe $39.00 for all of it. I havent seen that movie in years, haven't seen it on DVD, I saw it in the theater in early '76, scared the beejeebers out of me, couldn't sleep for 2 1/2 days.

18. fceurich39

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I think I'm pretty a pretty hard liner when it comes to restorations and preserving the original films but in general I'm not opposed to removing wires or fixing a few matte lines, etc. Removing shotguns in E.T. and replacing them with walkies BAD, taking out the reflection on the protective glass in Raiders of the Lost Ark GOOD.

20. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

I've assume Jaws was going to stay the same way for the Blu release.