When will Jaws be chomping its way to Blu-ray anyone know?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw JAWS 2 theatrically two weeks ago at the Carolina theater in Durham,the last 35mm print the studio has.Actually it was the answer print.Looked great.Had a nice turnout.It was doubled with the last 35mm print of THE LEGACY.

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Yeah, minor tweaks most won't even notice are usually all good. Greedo shooting first? - BAD!

I'm happy and relieved to hear no clean-up though. I want the film that scared the shit out me as a kid, not a "beefed up and updated" version. I would watch an update, but wouldn't buy an updated only release. Like I bought the Alien set because it had options for which version to watch. If I don't like the update, I can always go classic. I won't buy Star Wars set as it doesn't have the classic option I want.

I love Scarface as much as most gangsta rappers, but stayed away from the Platinum edition with "bigger gun sounds" also. Hope the BD for that has all audio options, and seriously hope that it does include the TV edit audio. Scarface on network is it's own breed of comedy!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i've never heard of that. was it actually advertised as a perk? as in "new and improved, now with bigger gun sounds!"

4. bigdaddyhorse

Yeap, I recall the first versions had stickers on front mentioning it. Can't find a scan of the sticker, but just look at the back cover. The synonpsis mentions NOTHING but new audio.:rolleyes:

Althoguh, this review makes it sound like not a bad thing. I never noticed the Anniversary Edition sounding weak, it sounded like the movie I've seen dozens of times! Hum, I can't find a review that says the beefed up audio is a bad thing, all say it's great. I'm sure I'll find out on the Blu-Ray, even if it has the original track I'll try the new now, but no way I was going to buy that fucking disc so soon after my Anniversary Edition boxset! The timing of it all was the worst, as it felt like a bad attempt at forcing a double-dip so soon. Don't forget, the old dvd had been OOP for a few years when the Ann. Ed. came out, so me and teh rappers were lined up waiting for it.

Ann Ed. released 9/30/03, Platinum 10/03/06. It felt much closer than that somehow.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I actually have a lot of faith in this upcoming Jaws blu ray. However, if anybody noticed, many of the sound effects were changed on the 5.1 track on the DVD editions (gunshots, the explosion at the end, etc - all changed). Let's hope we at least get a lossless mono track with the original audio.

But that edition of Scarface, was the "new" audio the only audio option? I remember on the original anniversary edition there was a special feature stating how The film had a major influence on rap/gangster culture that I always found rather odd. It's such an 80s movie with its synth score and 80s pop music.

~Matt

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

:lol: holy shit, that sounds ridiculously awful! "now with a new and improved ending! Tony lives!"

yeah, i remember seeing the platinum edition when it was released, and being surprised at how quickly it seemed to follow the anniversary edition. being fairly content with the anniversary edition, i never even bothered to read the back of the platinum edition, hence my ignorance of these "enhanced" sound effects.

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

That and Tony Montana seems to be the opposite of someone you want to idolize.
    Bad decision after bad decision until you finally end up face first in a pool of your own blood.

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Amen Matt. The Foley work for the DVD releases is truly shameful. For those who aren't familiar with the magnitude of the changes, check out this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q81Ublj9k_A

The differences are so dramatic that I had to pull out my DVD to ensure that the youtube video was legitimate. It is.

It seems hard to believe that the original audio stems wouldn't exist. And if they did, they could surely use them to create a new 5.1 track that was faithful to the original track. But I'm all for the inclusion of a lossless mono track as well. It's sad that it isn't standard practice.

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

:eek2:
    that is fucked up.

10. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Yeah, Blu-ray has really made me appreciate the original audio. I always get upset when I pop in an older film that was made before digital surround sound and all it has are 5.1 tracks. If Blu-ray is supposed to replicate the original theatrical presentation of a film, you can't do that with artificially created digital surround tracks (or DNR and EE, for that matter).

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

still no word if the sequels are still headed to blu-ray aug 14th havent heard no info

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well apparently we're getting a digibook here in Canada. Exclusive to Future Shop it seems...

And if you buy any Universal 100th Anniversary DVD or Blu-ray, you automatically get $10 off your purchase of Jaws, making it $24.99. Pretty fucking sweet I must say. Was disappointed that Jaws wasn't getting one (much like The Deer Hunter not getting one)...

~Matt

13. bigdaddyhorse

Best Buy here had a tag for Jaws bd on sale for $19.99 and an exclusive (steelbook I'm almost positive) for $24.99. These were on a side rack last week, and the small print on tags said the sale was from 6/30 - 7/07.:rolleyes:

The tags are gone this week, yet the 2 empty spots remain on the side rack which has all Universal 100th bd's. I never bothered to ask for one and doubt they ever floored, esp. since they probably won't even get them for a month or so. It did make me go look up the release date though when I first saw em last Sunday.

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Was this a limited promo? Don't see anything about it online.

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i would have liked the digibook, but i'm too lazy to cancel my preorder. i'll just see what shows up :rolleyes:

16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

17. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

no reviews yet. suprised. we should at least have 2 by now..

18. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

no. no. watch. we will get a review of the new blu-ray and it will be just a review of the movie itself. i hate that.. why do reviewers do that.. of blus and dvds...

19. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Do these guys do ANY research before posting reviews of landmark films? Universal's previous 5.1 remixes of Jaws are notorious for their haphazard and incompetent replacement of the original mono Foley effects. You would think the reviewer would at least address that issue and confirm whether or not the new mix is faithful to the original mono track. Both tracks are on the damn Blu-ray disc.

It would be nice to put this recurring nightmare to rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q81Ublj9k_A

Maybe that community should allot the time it currently devotes to Stalin-like policing of their forums (free Buck135!) to help their reviewers demonstrate some semblance of competency.