Why is Dawn of the Dead OOP?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pukenstein, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Pukenstein

Pukenstein Member

I know the Directors cut is OOP, and the new 3 DVD set is in early '03. But why is the Anniversary Edition(Theatrical cut) no longer available? Why would AB pull it when the new one is so far off? Ebay prices are going up.

2. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

So more sales, and interest, will be generated when the 3 disc set is released.

3. Pukenstein

Pukenstein Member

Yes you're right. But the new one has 3 versions plus extras. I don't think keeping the Anniversary one in print would effect it. The demand for the other 2 cuts would still make it a hot seller.

4. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

I can come up with two reasons. 1-It was a 20th anniversary edition (released in '99), so I'm surprised it remained in print this long. 2- A.B. fucked up this release by including scenes from the "Director's Cut" that were never in the Theatrical release. The "Director's Cut" is really just GAR's first cut of the film, rushed to completion to be screened at Cannes. Afterwards, the film was re-edited, and then released domestically. This is known as the Theatrical version, however, it really should be known as the Director's cut, because this was the final version that GAR cut. So, why release a version not meant to have certain scenes? But then, I don't think a lot of people noticed the extra footage unless they have watched the old VHS & Laserdisc releases religiously.

While we're on the topic of Dawn, I sincerely hope that one of the versions is mastered in 5.1 or DTS. With all the films that have been released by AB as of late with DTS EX and DD6.1, they have no excuse not to.

5. pacinofan

pacinofan Member

Two questions:

1) Is it for sure 2003 that its coming out and...

2) How much difference is ij the three versions. Frome what I read above the US and "director's" cut don't seem that different.

6. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

When it's coming out is unknown. The director's cut has 15 minutes worth of scenes not in the theatrical cut, and a slightly different score. The extra scenes are not important, but do give more insight & charecter development. The Argento cut has an all Goblin soundtrack, none of the stock library music, and almost all humor cut out of it(no pie fight scene etc..). The Argento cut also has some very small scenes not in either US versions. If you are a Dawn fanatic, owning all the versions is manditory.

7. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I'm a huge fan of Dawn, but since I haven't seen it anywhere I've never seen the Argento cut. I can't wait for it though.

I prefer the Director's Cut, I bought the VHS a long time ago and that's what I'm used to. When I got the Theatrical Version on DVD I didn't notice anything cut but it just didn't feel right, you know?

Anyway I understand taking this off the market for "suspense" but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you still found it at a local chain store. I still see Day of the Dead every once in awhile at my Suncoast.

8. tasos

tasos New Member

test

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

There's still about 5 or 6 Theater cuts at the Media Play here, plus a couple copies at Borders, and I think still at Circut City too. I haven't even looked online for it, but bet it's easily had. If you're looking for it, try www.dvdpricesearch.com
    I'm chillin with the D.C. VHS for now.

10. Pukenstein

Pukenstein Member

Bestprices.com says 194 available within 2 weeks. I guess they just sold out for Xmas, and not OOP.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2002