Wicked Magazine

Discussion in 'General' started by Egg_Shen, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Anyone here read this? I for one couldn't get enough of it. Wicked would come out every four months or so and I'd snatch it up at first glance. For me it was the best mag. to cover the genre, but I haven't seen it on store shelves since the last issue I purchased (May/June 2001). Does anyone here know what happened by chance?

2. Darkshadow

Darkshadow Guest

It was published by CINESCAPE, but they cancelled the magazine.

3. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I figured as much. It's too bad because it really was a great magazine. How Wicked can be cancelled while garbage like Fangoria is still being produced is bewildering.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I bought the first issue and was sorely disappointed. It appeared to me to be all style and no substance. Whether or not it improved over time I'll never know because I never bought another one. What especially irked me was that none of the articles were more than two pages long with sole exception of a "50 best movies of all time" list and that the top third of each page was senselessly wasted with dead space.

5. I haven't checked out Wicked magazine, but Fango & Darkside have sure gone right down the toilet. I won't buy either anymore.
    Darkside is full of letters saying stuff like ' Is my copy of Zombie Flesh Eaters uncut' - and Fango is just plain shit, these days

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I disagree about Dark Side, but to each his own, I guess.

7. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    yeah, the horror mags are pretty crap now a days

Fangoria is just way to expensive for little stuff they put in. But I don't think you can blame them cause the horror genre isn't so big compared to the other genre's out there.

There's a canadian mag called Rue Morgue, it looks promising, but I really don't know what's gonna happen to them too.

8. cjg

cjg Active Member

How come i cant get on Rue Morgues web site anymore that would really suck if they fold to Is Rue- Morgue .Com still their web site or do they have a new one

9. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

ErgOn: I've heard several good things about Rue Morgue and would love to check it out. You say it's Canadian based though so I guess I'm not likely to see it in my local book store, too bad.

maybrick: If you didn't like the first issue chances are you'd be pretty dissapointed with the whole lot. I will agree that the magazine was very stylish which allowed it to stand out from Fangoria, which features cover art aimed at third graders. I can't remember the first issue very well, but I do recall the "list" taking up alot of pages. So hey, perhaps you would like the other issues. There were some interesting articles on Romero, Carpenter, Fulci, Argento and other directors of such status. Hey, they even managed to present Jason X seriously and that takes some kind of talent, right?

10. Ferox

Ferox Guest

Rue Morgue is a thrill.

Rue Morgue is well-written, content-heavy magazine that I'm gladly snatch as soon as I spot a new issue in the bookstores. They have all the requisite format reviews but they manage to carry rather good interviews. Recently there was Andreas Schnas--director of the Violent Shit series--interview. More recently, there was multipage coverage of Hershel Gordon Lewis' Blood Feast 2.

Also, every third Wednesday of the month, Rue Morgue holds a free horror screening at a local bar/club. Tonight they showed Evil Dead. Last time it was to be Battle Royal (thought the distributor pulled out at the last possible moment, so we watched the Story of Ricki, instead. They've shown the Ring a few months ago too.

It's rather nice to know that the magazine cares for its fans and is willing to sate their desires.

11. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I once found a copy at Borders and grabbed it. It was one of the best horror mags I have ever read. Unfortunately I have never seen it there again. I guess the best way to get it is subscribe, though it is a bit pricey. No more expensive than Fango, though.

12. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    Try this link http://www.rue-morgue.com/main.htm I just checked it and it works.

Shannafey:
    I think you can subscribe on their website
    12 issues (2 years) $56 (30% off the cover price equals 3 FREE new issues.) That's in US dollars it's like $4.67 an issue. You are right, it's cheaper than Fangoria

Ferox:
    Yeah, it's good to know that a magazine does those screenings. Unfortunately they really don't have much retailers selling their mag.

13. ctyner

ctyner Member

I see it all the time here in Greenville, South Carolina, at Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million.

14. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I loved Wicked, cheaper and easier (for me) to find than Fangoria, and sometimes just as good. Too bad it's gone :(.

15. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

How about CINEFANTASTIQUE? I haven't picked up any recent issues.....but "back in the day" it just blew all the other genre magazines out of the water with it's comprehensive coverage of new releases,and it featured beautiful covers. The only problem was, you had to take out a second mortgage to afford a copy!