Will early adopters get shafted when a Friday the 13th Deluxe Ed. boxset is annouced

Discussion in 'General' started by crikan, Aug 27, 2009.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

What are the chances that a box set of Friday the 13th will be announced in the next 18 months that will make those that purchased the recent Deluxe Editions regret their purchase? Do you think the current Deluxe Editions are about as definitive as it gets? I suppose there's a chance that a box set would be nothing more than a repackaging of all the Deluxe Editions into one box.

Does anyone think that a Blu-ray's for 1-8 are coming anytime soon?

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

well according to what i heard the only reason parts 2 and 3 got blu-ray releases was because how well the first 3 deluxe edition dvds sold and the first film on blu-ray

also with parts 7 and 8 deluxe editions coming on dvd sept 15th and the final season of the tv series the next week there is no news of 4-6 blu-ray it's not looking good right now cause all the friday the 13th hype is over well atleast until next august when the sequel to the remake comes out

that will be the best chance for a box set to be released as well as other blu-ray editions

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I think it will definitely eventually happen, but it will probably just be all the films packaged together for a cheaper price and in a cool box. We might get lucky though and they may add an extra bonus disc or something.

I think I'm going to wait until the next film hits theaters and if a box set isn't out then then I may pick these up. I'm in no rush though as I already have them on DVD, so as cool as all the new extras are, I can survive without them for now as there is jsut so much else coming out. I've double dipped and triple dipped too may times on films that it's just not worth it anymore. That and I'm sure a box set will be a LOT cheaper then buying them separate. Then again, if i see them for say $10 a piece, then I may pick them up.

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Yeah, I bought pt. 2 and 3 on Blu for fun but I will wait for the blu box... cause you know it is coming!!!

5. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

They most likely will re-release them missing some special features as well as adding some, making sure the hardcore fans will have to buy them yet again.

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Early adaptors always get screwed, know that going in.
    I have 3-6 on dvd already (bought 3, won the others here) and will probably try to wait for the blu box, although I know the extras will be hard to keep passing over at stores.
    Kinda happy they aren't un-cut now, then I'd have no chance of waiting.

7. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I would have purchased all of the deluxe editions but I'm holding out for a box. If it doesn't come out, oh well, then I just get the deluxe editions for cheaper since they will have been out for a while at that point.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I have the first three on blu and will get the others as they are released on blu as well. If they decide to do a box set instead, I'll just sell off the blu's of the first three. It's not much money lost there. As for what the box set will consist of, I am pretty confident it will just be the single releases boxed together. This is something I hate about the internet, every little rumor and comment from studios gets released and us fans get pumped. I wish they would just stick to official press releases after they know what the fuck they're doing.

9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I guarantee a Blu-Ray box set will be released. I'll wait for that.

10. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

will it only be a Blu-Ray box set???? no DVD box set????

11. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Got the Blu's already and plan to get the next ones once available - no way I can wait for a boxset.

12. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

my way of thinking is that if enough people wait for the "blu box they are certain is coming with just loads and loads of new extra stuff", then paramount will see that the dvd's aren't selling so why bother with blu's of any more? Seeing as how they released blu rays of the first three since the dvd's sold so well.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Ditto. People are blindly speculating that a future box set will include anything additional besides the "box art". Maybe it will, and maybe it won't...but I'm not waiting around for crap like that.

14. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

Paramount despises its slasher catalog, and has nothing but contempt for the audience for such films. That the F13 films are part of Paramount's legacy is a source of embarrassment for the studio heads.

They will, however, gladly take your money. So, expect a few more versions of the DVD's in the coming years.

15. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

According to rhett's reviews they've done an exceptional job with the deluxe editions and blu-rays.

I've gone ahead and bought the original on Blu-ray. Since there isn't a boxset I guess I'll show some restraint and not buy the next installment until I've watched my recent purchase. It would be nice of they would announce the rest of them on blu-ray. Let's hope that when the boxset is released it doesn't have any substantial improvements over the individual releases.

16. rhett

rhett Administrator

Honestly, why wait? Paramount is finally releasing the films wonderfully restored and with extras like we've always asked, and now still we're holding off buying them thinking there will be something better. I will admit they are creating a lot of confusion not announcing release dates for any further films on Blu-ray, especially as they forge ahead with the Deluxe DVDs, but still, Blu-ray fans should at least be getting the Blus, even if the framing is negligently compromised on the original film. The fourth DVD is so good, though, that even if a Blu-ray is sometime forthcoming, and I have to guess that for that film at least, it is, it's still worth a purchase.

I bought the Fridays as they came out in twos over four years and honestly, it's one of my fondest experiences as a DVD collector. The consistency of waiting and knowing that every Halloween, regardless of the market, we'd get another two Fridays. I wouldn't have that experience had I just waited out for the inevitable box set. Or I wouldn't have had the box set if I waited out for the Deluxe DVDs. Or I wouldn't have had the Deluxe DVDs if I waited out for the Blu-rays.

It's like going to the movies - you can wait to download it or buy it or watch it at home, but in so doing you'll never get the chance to say you partook in seeing the film at the key time of its release. I'm happy to say I watched the Fridays first on VHS and then again on DVD and then again in the box set, etc. Each experience has given me a ton of grand memories, and if you are fans of these films you really are letting that slip away just waiting for them to come out in something definitive. Buying these guys sometimes five times over has been worth it for the experience alone.

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

^ Yeah, what that flaming pumpkin head guy said.

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Ditto.

19. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

That’s an excellent point rhett and great advice. Blu-ray has brought out a “collector” sickness in me where allot the fun isn’t watching great movies, but finding definitive versions for a great price. And the way Friday the 13th is being released is driving that side of me insane. I should be thrilled to get the first three on blu-ray but I can’t help but be annoyed that I’m going to have to wait for the next five and if I’m not patient I risk having inferior versions that I didn’t even get for a good price since they aren’t in a boxset. It’s time to let go of that silliness as I’m sure the DVD’s look fantastic.

20. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

I didnt like the box for the box set. AN dI like having individual dvds anyway!!!