Will early adopters get shafted when a Friday the 13th Deluxe Ed. boxset is annouced

Discussion in 'General' started by crikan, Aug 27, 2009.

1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Well they should have released a box set in the first place considering most of the people buying the Blu Rays already have the movies in the old DVD set and I'm sure would rather replace them that way then buying them separate. And it's not just waiting/ hoping for a cool box or new extras (Even though they should have definitely included the extras from the older box set!), it's the money issue as well. Buying them separate cost what $20 (closer to $25 or $30 in Canada) a piece. So you are looking at $180 ($220+ in CA) buying them all separate, where as a box set would probably be half that price. I'm kind of pissed they are doing the same with the Bond movies, but at least they are selling them in three packs to make the damage a little less.

And at the least, they should have been releasing the same time as the Deluxe DVDs, but again, this way they are getting double money from people too impatient to wait. I'm not insulting anyone that is running out buying them as if I had tons of extra cash i probably would to, but personally I can handle waiting as I have seen them all too many times to count, and my DVDs still work just fine.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

That's great advice if you are rich. Buy the movies 5 times within 10 years, companies LOVE you! I miss the days where you bought a VHS once and it lasted 10 years. Personally I can hold out though as there is way too much coming out lately, especially this coming Fall.

3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Release all of the titles at one time. The Friday films are not high on priority list in the first place, so I would rather pay $60 for a box set and not $150-200 to purchase them separately. If they don't release a box set, which they will, then It will be no great loss and I will pick up the original only for less than $10 on Blu-Ray when Best Buy or someone has a shitload left over. I really don't believe that this is any priority for Paramount, but when sales drop on the individual titles, the set will come out.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I think people have misconceptions about how cheap a blu-ray box set would be. 8 films? 8 blu-ray discs? This thing would easily be around $100. I think in the end you wouldn't really be saving much by waiting for them all to be in a box unless blu-ray discs in general take a serious price cut. Hell, the Die Hard collection on blu is $45-50, and that's only 4 films.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I don't plan on buying these movies again. I mean okay, we got Friday the 13th uncut, we got Part 3 in 3-D, widescreen, HD, with special features (and some special features in HD). I'm perfectly happy with what Paramount's released so far. They've been excellent. I don't plan on buying these again, seeing as how I'll probably never watch parts VII and VIII again. Never liked 'em, I only plan on getting 4-6 when they hit blu-ray and that's it.

~Matt

6. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

You may be right on the price. $60 was probably too low for a Blu-Ray box set but you never know. I see prices dropping already. Best Buy has already started having some decent sales and Amazon seems to have really good prices at times. For me, I really like the original, part 2 and 4, but not really many of the others, so personally, I can wait. $45 is a pretty good price for a 4 disc BD set considering they can run $40 apiece.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

That's what I'm thinking too.

What I'll probably do instead is just get a few of the Deluxe Editions. The ones I must have. Right there, that pretty much boils down to parts IV, V, and VIII. V and VIII because I want those bonus features! And Part IV because of the 3 huge technical fuck-ups on the 2000 DVD (and the different death scene cuts).

And maybe III, because I always want to see that movie sound & look better- but I freaking want those Blu-Ray bonus features (only... I'm not spending over $200 for a brand new TV & DVD player just to watch maybe an hour of new stuff - ANCHOR BAY & the Children of the Corn Blu-Ray: I'm talking to YOU as well!!).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

For the most part I agree, but I do want them on Blu at the very least. I can forego a box set, but I want part 4 on blu. and 7. I NEED part 7 on blu. I say I'd wait for a blu box but if parts 4 and 7 were out on blu tomorrow, I'd buy.

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I feel like I got shafted for buying the first box set a couple of years ago!

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

:sleepy:

~Matt

11. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Sorry, Matt. I'm sick and tired of hearing of how great a job Paramount did. Especially from you.

If anyone is :sleepy: - it's me. :rolleyes:

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The fact still remains that they did, but it's cool to hate on Paramount so Friday fans continue to hate.

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I'll admit, Paramount has been pretty good with these deluxe editions but parts 1-3 def. got the shaft. I wished they got the guys who worked on the later deluxe editions and who looked into the vault to do the same for parts 1-3, as they possibly would have found some lost extras. Parts 1-3 are pretty lacking compared to the other movies in the franchise deluxe editions. That and they should have included all the extras from the old box set so i could sell it off and put the money towards a new set. That and I have having two copies of the same movie, let alone two copies of box sets.

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

the part 3 blu-ray has a few nice features as does part one

also i am hoping parts 7 and 8 will be easy to find in stores parts 1-6 were at walmart and bestbuy but as of now my bestbuy isn't getting 7 and 8 but i am talking to corporate and filed a complaint my bestbuy store when it comes to certain dvds is the only store in my state that doesn't get a dvd title that is released so now there looking into trying to get these too friday films at my store plus other ones

15. Severn

Severn Member

A few years ago I bought the last F13 DVD I needed. That same night I went home and saw that the Friday Ultimate Set was Announced.

I was pissed beyond logic.

So I'm waiting. ;)

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The framing debate aside, I think we got basically everything we could ask for with the first film. I'll admit the absence of the commentary from the box set for Part 3 blows. I'm leaning towards the deleted footage for 2 and 3 being lost, more so 2 than 3, but if the guys who did the SE's were able to somehow find it. I'll dip again.