You cannot sell CDs and DVDs on ebay unless you can prove they are real. Not kidding

Discussion in 'General' started by rijir, Jun 4, 2008.

1. rijir

rijir Member

I have spent days back and forth with ebay. They pulled some CDs I was selling as "pirated". They say I can't sell CDRs and DVDRs. Even though I am NOT SELLING CDRs or DVDRs mind you. I can't sell them unless I can prove with an original receipt of purchase that they are real. I spent time online with them in a chat session but got no place.

They are fucking idiots!!

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Agreed! :D I got so fed up with their moronic policies a while back that I now rarely buy/sell there. Dealing with their customer service is worthless, because they are always right no matter what.

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Like a reciept will prove anything?
    What if it's from a second hand shop where the reciept will just say "CD" and a price, handwritten. Then will they still say you bought a bootleg?
    Fucking retarded.

4. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

I've never sold anything on ebay, only purchased...but this is good to know. I was considering unloading some extra stuff cluttering up the pad but with this going on I'm having second thoughts. I wonder why they're only enforcing this now? I've seen LOTS of weird and unusual bootleg dvds sell on their before, with most of the people doing the buying knowing full well of what they're bidding on. Some stuff you just can't find legit releases of...I wonder what kind of impact this will have on collectors looking for obscure boots/dubs......?

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

RIAA strikes again? Can they prove anything sold on eBay is real? "Is that a real Britney Spears T-Shirt?" You can pretty much fake anything, I'd never buy an antique on eBay for example.

6. rijir

rijir Member

I went on to ask them if I encounter a seller selling a CD or DVD and they can't provide a copy of the original receipt should I notify ebay as if it is fraud and they said "yes". I also asked if ebay is going to be closing all of the other 10's of thousands of other used CDs and DVDs for sale right now and she didn't have an answer. Go figure.

So I guess if someone is selling an antique that is over 100 years old, and they can't provide the original cash register receipt if has to be fake.

7. rijir

rijir Member

Nor does it prove that the one your selling isn't a copy of the one your bought!

I'm just soooo pissed you don't even know.

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I have never heard of this, is this new? I used to do it all the time, but haven't sold anything on ebay in awhile. I was just about to have a dvd and cd sell off. I guess I may just be blowing up amazon marketplace instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2008
  9. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I am a regular ebay seller...and this is the first I have heard of this. I just had a bunch of auctions end last night too...do you just have to include a disclaimer in your auction stating something like "original reciept of purchase available on request"? If so that would be easy enough to fake. Seems more like ebay is trying to protect itself from stolen merch being sold rather that bootlegs...Still pretty stupid policy...as are most of their new rules and regs.

10. rijir

rijir Member

I have half a dozen other CDS for sale right now. They don't seem to be an issue. They are just f*ing dumbasses.

11. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Someone may have turned you in as selling something illegal or unauthorized...it has been my experience that ebay will shut just about anything down if someone turns it in...even if others are selling the same item. It's pretty shitty, but other sellers have been known to do it when they are selling the same item, just to eliminate the competition.

12. rijir

rijir Member

That's probably the case.

13. Franco

Franco Weekender

I'll add their customer service emails to my mail bombing list, you know, several different IPs, emails users, etc. They'll pay for it!! :mad:

14. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

I also heard that ebay no longer allows sellers to leave negative feedback. Fuck ebay.

15. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Yeah, and this pissed me off alot. In 10 years of doing business on ebay, I have had one bad experience with being screwed by a seller...I have probably had 200 asshole buyers.

16. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Very true.I got a bad feedback awhile back from a buyer who didn't like the movie I sold him.Like I was the director or something.With their new policy which your percentage only goes by the last 12 months,I have got 2 neutrals and my score dropped from 99.7% to 98.2%.As a seller your hand are tied now.You can leave no feedback at all but don't have any protection anymore when dealing with nasty buyers.
    I'm throwing on another 180 DVDs tomorrow then I think I'm jumping ship.

17. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Damn, I didn't know about sellers not being able to leave negative feedback anymore. That seems rather unfair. What if you strictly say in your posting that you want payment within a certain amount of time, and the buyer sends the payment days late?? Or what if the buyer pulls out completely and doesn't send payment??

I never sell on eBay, I just use half.com, which is all instant payment, so I won't be affected by this, but it does seem pretty uneven.

18. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

The only protection you have now is if they don't pay, and you complete and "unpaid item dispute" they can't leave you feedback at all.

19. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    WOW!! I haven't sold in a while and I have a lot of stuff I need to put up there and get rid of. I didn't know how much it has changed!! Thanks for the heads up guys!

20. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Like a lot of small enterprises, it becomes big and bloarted and loses focus of what it initially was all about.

It wont take too long before its replaced.